Adjusting

When the angels fell, it was painful and confusing for Duma. All she has ever known is life in heaven. She had never been to earth before. It was new and terrifying. She knew Cas, but they met when she was just a fledgeling. She had been following orders for as long as she could remember. Would she be able to adjust to life as a human? Or would she need a little guidance from a trench-coated rebel and a whiskey eyed archangel? And will Sam and Dean trust her?

Note: Please just pretend Gabe and Duma aren't technically related, thank you.
_______

She was in pain. No, worse. It was agony. It felt like she was burning from the inside out. She couldn't move, just lay on the side of the road. Not only was she in pain, but she was exhausted, confused, scared and felt nauseous. She could move, but she didn't want to in fear of this new female vessel shattering. She didn't know where she was, how she got there or even how long she had been unconscious for. Was she dead? Where did angels go when they died? She had no idea. But slowly, she forced herself to sit up and almost screamed in pain. Every cell in this vessel had been torn to shreds. There was no way she was alive. She noticed blood on her clothes and knew it had to be hers. She jumped when something sped past her and whimpered in fear (it was a car).

Hours later

It had started to get dark and she hadn't moved. She was terrified. What scared her most was she couldn't hear any other angels voices. A few of those metal boxes on wheels had passed by, but nothing ever noticed her. Now she was cold and her stomach was making strange noises, her throat was scratchy. She felt so much at the same time and she didn't know what to do with it all. She wasn't paying attention, that's why she didn't notice when a metal box did stop until there was a loud slam. She flinched, looking up at the new arrival. It was a man. He wore a long, tan coat and he slowly approached her. She whimpered, trying to back away from him, but she was still in a lot of pain, causing her to cry out "N-No! Please... please don't! I'll be good, I'll obey. Please, I... It hurts!". The man tilted his head, kneeling down to her and when he got a closer look at her, his eyes widened a little "Duma?". She trembled as she looked up at him. She shook her head as tears streamed down her cheeks "No... No, no, no. Please don't! I'll be good". His eyes softened "Oh, Duma. It's okay, I won't hurt you. It's me, Castiel. Do you remember?". She whimpers "Castiel...". He sighs "Shh, it's okay. You're safe". He knew she was in a great deal of pain, so he reached out to try and heal her, but she quickly moved away. He could see the fear in her eyes and he immediately felt the guilt wash over him. This was because of him. While he was busy getting his grace back, he forgot about the little fledgeling he once cared for in heaven and he had no idea how long she had been here. It was all his fault. He sighs "It's okay, Duma. I won't hurt you, no one will. But I won't leave you here, I'll take you somewhere safe". She shakes her head "No!". She started to cry again, scared of feeling more pain. His expression softens "Hey, shh shh. You're okay. Look". He gently presses his finger against the back of her hand. Of course, she recoiled. "See? No more pain, Duma. You're safe now" He promises. She relaxed a little, but still tensed up when he moved closer to heal her. When she felt warmth spreading through her vessel, she looked at him "Castiel, what happened?". He sighs "It's a long story".

Cas took her to the bunker, but she was reluctant to go inside. He tried to reassure her it was safe. He had explained to her on the way about the fall and that she was human now. That's why she was feeling all these things and why she no longer heard angel radio. She was still upset about it. He offers her his hand "This is a safe place, Duma. Nothing can harm you here. Some people live here, but they won't hurt you. They are my friends". "C-Castiel, I... I'm afraid. I don't sense anything, h-how do I know I... can trust these people?" She frowns. "Do you trust me?" He asks. She nods. He smiles slightly "Then you can trust when I say they are good people. They won't hurt you". She sighs, holding on to the sleeve of his trench coat "Okay".

He slowly guided her inside, assuring her that she could take her time. She flinched when the heavy door slammed shut behind them. "Shh, you're okay" He mumbles to her. It took a while for them to get to the bottom of the steps, but Cas was patient. He knew that everything would be scary for her. The boys were in the library and Sam noticed them first "Hey, Cas. Who's this?". Duma flinched when she heard the new voice. Cas rubbed her back a little before replying "This is Duma. She was an angel I knew in Heaven. I found her on the side of the road not too far from here. But she is human now, I'm not sure how long she had been there. I healed her as much as I could, but she's never been to earth before". When she glanced at them, she jumped and tried to get away from Cas. They were huge! He quickly noticed her panic "Hey, hey. Duma, it's okay. Calm down. This is Sam and that's Dean. They won't hurt you, I promise. No more pain, okay?". She frowns, looking at the boys again. They glanced at each other, then Sam spoke softly "Hey there, Duma. Don't worry, you're safe here". She looked at Dean, who gave her a smile and a little wave "Hey". She was still tense but relaxed a little. "Hello" She mumbles quietly.
_______

W.S