Adjusting Part 2

A few weeks later

Duma had been doing a little better. She learned that she had to eat, drink and sleep to not die. Sleeping was difficult and there was some food that she actually liked. She trusted Cas more than anyone and whenever he left, she panicked. She had tried to run away a few times, but Sam and Dean were always there to stop her. They were nice enough and they hadn't hurt her, but she still found it hard to trust them like Cas. She liked Sam more than Dean at the moment. He was more approachable and seemed more considerate and aware of other people's feelings. Even though she wasn't entirely sure of hers. She had a room in the bunker and to pass the time, she drew on the walls with chalk or crayons. Castiel remembered she liked to draw when she was a fledgeling and brought her pens, pencils, crayons and chalk.

Duma walked into the library, finding Sam sitting at a table with books and papers all around him. He smiles at her "Morning, Duma. Did you sleep well?". She shrugs "I'm not sure. Sleeping doesn't seem to come naturally to me. It's a long process, is that normal?". He hums "It depends what we are used to, I guess. But all human bodies are different, therefore are adapted to different sleep patterns. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it". She nods "Oh... that sounds complicated". He chuckles "It is". She tilts her head "How do you and Dean sleep?". He smiles slightly "We don't. Not really". "So, humans can survive on no sleep?" She questions. He shakes his head "No, Duma. It isn't healthy to not sleep. You have to try to get your strength up". She nods "Okay". Then she looks around and frowns "Where's Castiel?". Sam sighs "He went on a hunt with Dean. Don't worry, he'll be back". She frowns nervously. "Hey, you must be hungry. Do you want breakfast?" He asks, distracting her. She nods "Yes, please". He smiles "Great. Come on, I haven't eaten yet".

Later

Dean and Cas had returned after their hunt, but they weren't alone. "Look who we ran into" Dean announces. It got both Sam and Duma's attention, the latter starting to panic a little when she saw another new face. Cas could tell she was nervous, so he walked over to her before gently taking her hand "Duma, he won't hurt you either. I promise". The new arrival grins and walks over to them, oblivious to her nerves "Now, who is this little cutie? I believe we haven't met before". "Gabriel, no!" Cas growls protectively. Duma gulped "G-Gabriel?". She turned to look at Cas "The... Archangel?". Gabriel smirks, winking at her "Correct". Cas could feel her trembling "Duma, are you alright?". She whimpered, shaking her head before backing away from the two. The smirk fell from the Archangel's face and it was replaced with a confused frown as she ran away down the hall to the bedrooms. Cas went after her.

Gabriel raised an eyebrow, then looked at the boys "Did Cas say that was Duma?". Sam nods "Yeah, why?". He shrugs "I've never met her before. Why is she afraid of me?". "I don't know, Gabriel. Maybe because she is human now and terrified of everything that moves?" Dean replies, irritated. Sam sighs "Dean, chill out. It isn't her fault". Gabriel frowned, now feeling bad. If he had known, he never would've been so forward. He didn't know why she would be afraid of him, though. She had no reason to be, he wouldn't do her any harm.

Duma had locked herself in her room and Cas was outside, trying to get her back out "Duma, it's okay. I'm sorry about him, he means well. He didn't know you would get scared, but he would never hurt you". She couldn't help it, she was petrified of archangels. Back in Heaven, she was taught to fear them. If she disobeyed their orders, they would smite her. She had met Michael, he was the one who taught her how to control her grace. But he wasn't exactly nice about it. He yelled at her, threatened her and when she got things wrong, he would hurt her. He was scary. She had never met Lucifer, but she knew what he did and she was taught that he was evil. She didn't ever want to meet him and Raphael scared her too. He looked after the fledglings when she was one. He kept them out of trouble, but for some reason he didn't like Duma all that much and didn't treat her right. That's how she met Castiel. Why would Gabriel be any different? She knew he ran away from Heaven, but she definitely didn't trust his brothers. What would he do to her?

Her eyes filled with tears "Cassy, I... I can't. He will smite me". Cas furrowed his eyebrows "What? Duma, I know you've had bad experiences with Archangels in the past, but Gabriel is good. He is irritating, but he won't hurt you. Do you think I could prove it to you?". She lifts her head to look at the door "N-No!". He sighs "Alright, just... take some time to calm down, okay? Then come back out". He didn't hear an answer, but just decided to leave her for a while. He just hoped she would calm down soon.
______

W.S