Before I Fall (Part 1)

He didn't think it would actually work. But it did. Aside from a few minor scrapes and scratches on his vessel, his plan had worked. He's finally free. The whiskey eyed archangel stood, hiding behind the doorway. As he watched his older brother look down at the 'dead' him, he didn't feel sad or remorseful. He felt relief. His plan could've gone either way. And he was so glad it worked. He had never managed to pull off three illusions in the one go before. He thought for sure Lucifer would've caught on to it. But Gabriel felt himself smile involuntarily before silently disappearing. He didn't care where he went. He was free.
_______

4 Months Later

Gabriel never stayed in one place for too long. He had a few safe houses dotted around the States. And he was content. For the first time in centuries (literally), he felt peace. He went around, continuing what he did as a Trickster. Dishing out just desserts to those he deemed deserved it. And he moved on to the next place before any hunters even caught scent of his trail. He never actually intended on killing anyone. Just hurting them enough to teach them a lesson. You know, the usual things. Murdering people is wrong, cheating on your husband/wife/fiance/fiancee isn't very nice, parents abandoning their children is just plain cruel and taking advantage of young, drunk girls is revolting. Some of the things he's had to witness in just four months would be horrifying to any normal person. It was fun for him though. The tricking people part, not the other stuff. Some guys really needed to learn to keep it in their pants. Not that Gabe didn't have his moments. He's had a few hookups here and there. But he couldn't find it in him to take advantage of anyone. Although, he's lied to and deceived some women to get them into bed, at least he had the decency to make sure they were of sound mind first and that they even wanted to. But hey, can you really blame him? Apparently girls aren't into the whole 'I'm an archangel' thing.

Tonight, he found himself in a small town in Atlanta, Georgia.
After 'sorting out' yet another cheating husband, Gabriel felt the need for a drink. Well, not really. He couldn't taste alcohol the same way that humans can. But he still wanted a drink. So, he headed to the nearest bar. When he found one, he went in and ordered a beer. The bar wasn't too busy, so he was served pretty quickly and he paid for it before going to sit down at a table at the far wall with his freshly ordered beer (with a lime in it). He sat down and took a sip before leaning back in his seat.

He sat against the wall with his arm resting on the table and at an angle so he could keep an eye on everyone in the room. It was a bar after all. There was a game of pool going on and about ten people were in, including the bartenders. It wasn't a very big place, but it would do. While he was looking around the room, his eyes caught onto a hot blonde woman sitting at the end of the bar. He didn't know how he could've missed her, she was gorgeous. And from where he was sitting, he couldn't tell if she was drunk or not. However, he had a couple of choices. There was her, another blonde, a red head, a brunette and some goth chick with green highlights in her jet black hair. He decided to steer clear of her. Don't get him wrong, he liked a variety from time to time, but he didn't necessarily feel like getting stabbed tonight (even though he wouldn't be majorly hurt). She didn't seem to be in a flirty kinda mood anyway. His eye caught onto the engagement ring on the red head's finger. So, that ruled that one out. He decided to take his chances with the first blonde woman.

Leaving his drink, he walked right over to the bar beside where she was sitting. With an air of confidence he carried with him at all times (okay, maybe not all times, most times). He stood next to her, pretending to order another beer. He waited for her to notice him and luckily she did soon enough. He turned his head to look at her and gave her a small smile "Hey". She giggled "Hi!". He inwardly sighed as he thought 'aw, man'. He decided to test it more, just to make sure (she could've just been extra perky). "So, um... did it hurt?" He started. She gasped "Omg, you're hurt?! Are you okay?". Gabe pursed his lips. Well, if that wasn't confirmation, he didn't know what was. He chuckled a little and shrugged "Yeah, I'm good, sugar. See ya around". She nodded a little too enthusiastically "Okay!". He nodded "Good talk". Then he went back to his table and sat down again with a sigh. Well, it was worth a try.

Later

He had stayed there for a while and had since ordered another beer. He wasn't even a little tipsy, which was in some ways frustrating. But as he was sipping on his drink, he was approached by a woman. The brunette he saw earlier. 'Huh, this could be interesting' He thought. "Hi" She says. "Um... hey?" He replied, a little confused. She chuckled "I'm sorry. It's just... I couldn't help but notice what you did earlier". For a moment he froze. What did he do earlier? Earlier could mean anything! He awkwardly cleared his throat before speaking "My apologies for whatever you witnessed". She smiled "No, I mean what you did over at the bar. Most guys would've tried to take advantage of her, but you didn't". He sighed "Oh, that? Right, well... you're welcome, I guess". He was surprised to say the least when she sat down across from him 'Oh, we're doing this now? Okay'. "I'm Hailey" She introduced herself. He smiled "Huh, never would've guessed that". She laughed in response "What, I don't look like a Hailey?". "Nah, I was thinking more of an Emma or an Amy" He chuckled. She smiled "Those were the first names to pop into your head". He hummed "You're good. Name's Ben". She chuckled "Never would've guessed". Yes, Gabriel lied but he could never be too careful. He liked this girl. She was funny, witty and kinda hot. And she seemed to like him too. In fact, she liked him so much that she invited him back to her apartment. And he accepted. That night was fun and Hailey was great. But as per usual, he didn't stay. He waited until she fell asleep so he could slip out. He erased her memory of him and off he went to head out of town, to the next.

Little did he know that Hailey would be his last one night stand ever...
_____

Hey, hope you liked part 1. Now, on to part 2!

- W.S