Stay

You and Rich decided to go to prom together as friends. Since neither of you had a date and you weren't interested in going anyway. Until he convinced you to come because he was helping out and didn't want to go by himself. And so, you reluctantly agreed, but only because he's your best friend. And he owes you because you have a particular disliking to dresses.

After a while, it gets boring and you can't seem to sit still. So, you end up sneaking out to cure your boredom. Luckily, Rich notices your sudden absence.

(Takes place when Rich and the reader are in high school)
_______

"Y/n, come on. We're going to be late".

"How is that my problem? I'm not the one who signed up to pour drinks. What difference does it make if I'm late?".

He chuckles "First of all, I'm not pouring drinks. I'm hosting. And second of all, it is your problem because you are going with me. Therefore, making me late. And that isn't good". I frown "Rich, do I really have to?". He sighs "Okay... y/n, I know how much you hate this. But it'll mean a lot to me. And it just makes it more worthwhile if you are there with me". Sitting on the toilet seat in the bathroom, I glare at the light blue, knee-length dress that my mom bought me for this very occasion. Which I have on right now. And slowly but surely, I'm already losing the will to live. I hear another sigh from outside the door "Alright, plan B. Y/n, there will be cake". I frown as my eyes involuntarily fill with tears, then I gulp nervously. "Richie, I don't wanna go" I mumble. "Why not, y/n? You keep sayin' that and I don't even know why. You'll have fun, I promise" He replies. I roll my eyes "It's not that. I don't wanna wear this stupid dress!".

Third POV

Rich nods to himself, smiling slightly before speaking again
"Y/n, I'm sure you look fine. Please come out, at least let me see it". "I'm not going, Rich. Forget it, I look ridiculous. I can't go anywhere looking like this, let alone in front of people we know" She huffs. Rich frowns "Y/n, I know that ain't true. What is ridiculous is you thinkin' like that. Come on, get out here. Everyone's still waitin' on us downstairs". She sighs "Okay, fine. But you can't like the dress". He inwardly celebrates his success, but chuckles and rolls his eyes "Alright, I-I'll hate it. Would you come out here now?". Slowly, the bathroom door unlocks and y/n finally emerges. Rich found himself lost for words and he inhaled sharply at the sight of her. Her hair was neatly curled at the ends and there was a braid on the side of her head. She had on a light blue dress that went down to her knees. The skirt wasn't too puffy, it was more frilly. He could just about see a white t-shirt poking out from underneath. She had a little bit of makeup on, only enough for it to be noticeable. But she still looked natural. And she was wearing white converse on her feet. And of course she still had her four bracelets on her wrist. She never took them off. He never expected anything less. He wasn't used to seeing her dressed like this. But she definitely didn't look ridiculous. In fact, she always looked gorgeous to him. He was wearing a two piece tuxedo with black shoes and a black tie.

She shrugs "See? Told you I look ridiculous". "What?... oh, y-yeah. I hate it. You... you were right" He stutters. She frowns "I'm not sure I believe you". He snaps out of his reverie, clearing his throat "No, seriously. It's hideous, you... you shouldn't ever wear that again". She smiles "That's better". He shakes his head "Come on, let's go".

Later (y/n's POV)

While Rich was busy on the stage, welcoming everyone to the night, I sat at a table by myself. I wasn't really paying attention, but in my defence, I had already heard it a million times as he had practised what he was going to say in front of me for the last two months or so. I sigh quietly. I haven't even been here for half an hour and I'm already dreading the rest of the night. I've had a few compliments on my dress. Not that it changes anything. I still hate it. I rest my forearm on the table. I don't get it. What is the big deal about prom anyway?

I look up when I feel a tap on my shoulder. Rich sits in the seat opposite me and smiles slightly "Well, you look like you're havin' fun". I stick my tongue out at him playfully "Oh, yeah. I'm having the best time". He chuckles, then looks at me "You could at least try and have fun. Come on". "Where are we going?" I frown, watching as he stands back up. He pulls me up with him "We're gonna have fun". I sigh, but he doesn't let go of my hand as he leads me to the dance floor.
______

2 hours later

I'll admit it was starting to be a little fun. I was talking to other people in my year, Rich is a year older than me. It's his prom. And I noticed him talking to some other people that I knew of. I didn't really talk to them if Rich wasn't around. So, I decided to talk to three girls in my year who I am pretty close with. I've been friends with them for five years now. Jessica, Alana and Mollie. They're like my sisters. Rich is my best friend, but he's still a boy. And it's nice to also have friends who are girls. "I never thought I'd live to see the day that y/n wears a dress" Jess teases me. I roll my eyes "Yeah, well get a good look. Cause it won't be happenin' again any time soon". The three chuckle. "So... what's up with you and Speight?" Alana asks. I frown "What do you mean? We're just friends". Mollie laughs "Yeah, right". "What? That's all it is, there's nothing else goin' on" I reply. Jess chuckles "Please, you even talk like him. Are you honestly saying you don't feel anything other than friendship for him?". I nod slowly "Yes... and what does the way I talk have to do with anythin?". Alana laughs "You're from Missouri, honey". I roll my eyes "Yeah, I've lived here since I was four. I'm bound to pick up the accent". The three girls share a look with each other, then giggle. "Alright, if you don't wanna admit it, that's fine. But whatever it is you feel for him, it isn't just friendship. And he feels that way about you too" Mollie sighs. I hum as I get up from my seat at the table "Alright, I'm gonna get some fresh air".

When I get outside, it's dark. It's about ten o'clock, the prom will end at 12. It's still warm though, since we are in Nashville, Tennessee. I sigh as I make my way down the steps of the school and then I start walking. I know where I'm going, but I don't get too far before I hear someone call my name "Y/n, wait!". I pause in my step and turn around to see Rich jogging over to me. "Jess told me you were gettin' fresh air. But I knew better than that. Y/n, what are you doing?" He questions. I shrug "I got bored, so I left". He nods, smiling slightly "Then I'm coming with you". I sigh "You're hosting, Richie. You can't leave". He chuckles, shaking his head "I don't wanna do it if you aren't gonna be there". I smile slightly "Okay".

We get to the docks, which is where I was going, and sit at the end of the pier. I look down at the water below us and sigh quietly. "Hey, you okay?" Rich asks softly. I nod "Yeah". He sighs "Come on, I know that look. Something's bothering you. What's wrong?". I frown "I hate that you know me so well". He chuckles "Comes in handy, doesn't it?". I look at him and sigh "Rich, the dress isn't the only reason I didn't want to go". He furrows his eyebrows, then he turns to sit sideways, facing me. One of his legs are dangling over the edge as he looks at me "Care to elaborate?". I frown, playing with the seam of my dress "I... I didn't want to go because it only reminds me that you're leaving. I don't want you to leave. I can't do it without you". "Can't do what?" He questions. I shrug "Well... everything, really. I need you with me, Rich. I can't do anything without you". He frowns "Y/n... just because I'm leaving school, doesn't mean I'm leaving you". "Really?" I question. "I refuse to go through the rest of my life without you, y/n. I'm not goin' anywhere" He replies. I sigh in relief before resting my head on his shoulder. He gently rubs my upper arm, letting me lean into him.

"Richie, you can't leave me" I mumble. "I'm not going to, I promise" He tells me. I nod slowly. "Hey, y/n. What did you mean by you can't do anything without me?" He asks. I shrug "Well, I need you for everything. I think I rely on you too much. You're just always there and you make everything easier for me. You've never judged me for not knowing something and you're always happy to explain it to me. You even helped me with my stutter when we were younger and stood up for me. I can't lose you, Rich". He sighs "I can't lose you either, y/n. You have no idea what you've done for me".
_________

- W.S