Prologue

The night was young still when the  naive girl stared in awe of the music, lights, dancing and people, faes. She tugged at the women's gown who was walking next her in nervousness. The elderly woman gave her a small smile which eased the young girl's worries.

Aadya Solace was free at last and she owed it all to the women walking next to her, Amarantha. Her sister not by blood but more than that. Eventhough being older than Amarantha, Aadya still sought out the guidance of her savior. She was new to it all, feelings she buried for so long and a new environment.

Aadya was pulled out of her thoughts as she saw a man with long blond hair tucked behind his pointed ears approached her and Amarantha. He respectfully kissed the back of Amarantha's hand and then Aadya's who was flustered by it, with blood rushing to get cheeks. The man gave a dazzling smile before he spoke, "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Tamlin, High lord of the Spring Court."

Aadya was flustered by the attention on her but the encouraging smile from Amarantha gave her courage, "I am Aadya" was all she said before Amarantha sensing her nervousness cut in, "May I have this dance Tamlin?" They took of as a new song began leaving Aadya to find a corner to attach to.

She took in her surroundings as she content for the first time in her centuries of existing. She watched as Amarantha giggle at something the High lord said and her chest filled with happiness for her friend. She came out of her reverie when a deep voice grabbed her attention.

"There you are. I've been looking for you," a deep, sensual male voice said. She twisted to see the most beautiful man she had ever laid her eyes one. Everything about the stranger radiated sensual grace and ease. A High Lord, she realised. His short black hair gleamed like a raven's feathers as the night dribbled off of him.

When there eyes met something shown behind his violet iris that she couldn't quite grasp. His deep voice sent a swarm of heat to her stomach, "I am Rhysand" the stranger introduced himself. But before she could reply a clinking of the goblet pulled the attention of everyone present.

"Welcome!" Amarantha's voice boomed through the hall, "I am immensely grateful to everyone who have choosen to attend the ball today. Now let me introduce my cousin from Hybern who will be staying in Prythain with me. Hope you all will welcome her as your own."

Aadya wanted the ground to swallow her up at the attention she was receiving. Her roaming eyes met with the purple ones who gave her a small smile as if sensing her discomfort, it did ease her to an extent. She turned her grey eyes to Amarantha continued with her speech.

"Let's all raise a toast to her as a welcome and as a symbol for the unity of all the courts of Prythain," Amarantha raised her glass so did everyone before taking a sip. "To Prythain." Thinking no further into it Aadya took a sip of her wine and was too late to sense the poison in it.

It happened in the blink of an eye as all High lords including Aadya fell on their knees clutching the place above their hearts.

"Oh how easy you were all to fool."

Amarantha's taunting voice echoed the room before standing in front of a crouched Aadya who was clutching her chest hard. "Even you Aadya. I thought you would have known. You once made me kiss your feet, it's my turn now." Aadya's gut wrenching screams filled the room as Amarantha took her head between her palms and started chanting.

Everyone in the room watched in horror as Amarantha's chanting became louder causing more agony to the girl in her arms. The high lord's who were still on their knees due to the poison , and sent warnings to their courts while simultaneously watching and hearing the screams of Aadya before it completely stopped.

Dead silence.

Everyone watched in horror and fear as Aadya's eyes turned black before returning to normal. But something was changed. They stared into the stotic and cold eyes of Aadya which was robbed of the spark that danced around her eyes. Aadya's lips slightly parted before her world became dark and last thing she heard was the screaming of the High lords of Prythain as they were robbed by their powers.