2.08 | FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF

♚✭♛

After her heart to heart with Rhysand, Aadya had fled from the Night Court in a hurry with just a single paper saying that she will be gone.

It's been almost a month, and it was also time for her to bring Freya from the Spring Court to the Night Court. Her she was laying in a luxurious bed, the courtesy of the High Lord of the Day Court, staring at the ceiling when the door opened.

"You know, when I said you should come by more often," Helion said as he entered with a tray and closed the door with his leg. "I didn't mean this."

Aadya rolled over in the bed, "mean what?"

He waved his finger over her slumped figure, "mean, for you to hide here after you poured your," he pulled a swooning face. "Your heart and soul to a certain High Lord."

"I did not do that!"

"Uh-huh," Helion gave her a look. "Sure you didn't."

"Is this your way of kicking me out?" Aadya sat up straight, as Helion placed the food tray before her. "Because don't worry I'll be gone soon."

Helion gave her a flat look. "No. This is my way of saying I'm concerned for my friend."

But before she could reply, she went still as a vision passed in front of her eyes. It took a moment for her to realise that she was seeing through Feyre's eyes.

"Then marry someone who can put up with this."

Tamlin blinked at Feyre's statement. Then he said with terrible softness, "do you not want to marry me, then?"

Feyre tried not to look at the ring on her finger, at that emerald. "Of course I do. Of course." Her voice broke. "But you. . .Tamlin. . ." The walls were pushing in on her. The quiet, the guards, the stares. What she'd seen at the Tithe today. "I'm drowning," she managed to say. "I am drowning. And the more you do this, the more guards. . .you might as well be shoving my head under the water."

Nothing in his eyes, that face.

But then--

Feyre cried out, instict taking over as his power blasted through the room.

The windows shattered.

The furniture splintered.

And that box of paints and brushes and paper. . .

It exploded into dust and glass and wood.

Aadya gasped. Helion was holding her face with one hand and the other shaking her shoulders to wake her up from the trance. "Hey. . . Are you okay? Aadya? Can you hear me?"

"Yeah. . . Yeah I can hear you." Aadya breathed out.

"Good," Helion sighed in relief. "What happened?"

Aadya was silent for a moment. "It---it was nothing, just something. I-- i-- don't know. It is confusing."

He didn't believe her, but he nodded. "Do you want to eat?" He pulled the tray closer to them.

"No," Aadya said. "I just-- I just want to go to sleep."

"Okay," Helion said and stood up with the tray. He watched as Aadya pulled the sheets to her shoulder and closed her eyes. He just sighed and walked to the door and closed it.

Helion walked inside his room, and did one thing that, he may or may not regret one day, but for now it was about Aadya. That was what he kept in his mind as he wrote the letter.