Game 2: Egg run (Part 2)

POV Kang Sae Byeok

This  game is impossible. We have nothing to hold on to. The beams were thick enough for a foot to fit perfectly on them, but with our eyes closed? Impossible.

I looked over at 066, who was wide-eyed with fright. I myself was also terrified, but didn't show it. Two women started crying and one man begged to go home. In the process, he accidentally dropped his egg. A loud gunshot shattered the silence and immediately he was dead. One of the guards pushed him over the edge and he fell into the void. The darkness swallowed him, for a long time we heard nothing, and then... a crash.

"Please line up, the guards will blindfold you one by one and lead you to the beam".

Already done.

All I know is that 066 is somewhere to the right of me in the next row. I really hoped that we would both get out of this game alive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Player 120, eliminated."

I breathed deeply in and out, then took the guard's hand. He supported me high on the beam and waited until I had the spoon in my mouth and balanced the egg on it. Only then he let go of me and leave me to my fate. I just had to not flinch, not lose concentration.

"Player 233, pass.
"Player 477, pass"

Okay, if they can do it, you can definetly do it Sae Byeok! I spread my arms wide and carefully put my left foot in front of my right. My teeth bit hard on the iron of the spoon, sweat appeared on my forehead.

A scream, someone fell into the void. A thud.

"Player 476, eliminated. You have 2 minutes left."

The bar doesn't look that long, but it was hell to stand on it. Again and again I put one foot after the other until the tip of my spoon touched the back of the person in front of me. Immediately I stood still, hearing my egg wobble slightly back and forth. My tense breath could be heard coming loudly from my nose, and the drops of sweat that trickled down scratched my neck. I just can't get distracted.

"Don't you go any further or I'll knock you off that beam," growled the person in front of me.013 The corners of my mouth twisted into a grin.

"It would be more my pleasure to push you into the void, Moron".
013 drew in his breath sharply as he took another step forward. I followed.

"I wouldn't even hesitate to drag you along bitch," he hissed back and stopped with a whimper. I had stood sideways to keep the balance and with my hand I grabbed the tip of his jacket.

"Don't even try to move your arms, you'll lose your balance. Shouldn't have drunk so much victory beer, huh?"
My tongue lifted the spoon a little lower so that it did not roll backwards. The blindfold was wet from sweat and it burned in the eyes.

"Keep walking if you want to live too," I now commanded. Without another word he set one foot after the other, I came along dragging my feet sideways. So I could better keep my balance.

Many already had the game behind them, but some crashed. Fortunately, no one gets shot in the middle of the game, otherwise the concentration would have been really screwed.

But I haven't heard anything from 066 yet. She was apparently still in the game, too.

013 in front of me stepped one foot into the void and let out a startled scream. Immediately I let go of the end of his jacket and shakily bent to my knees so that his flailing arms would not hit me. Unfortunately for me, he didn't drop the egg or fall off the beam himself. He laughed throatily.

"I told you I was going to win the game bitch".
"I'm still behind you, be careful saying that," with my finger I gently tickled the back of his knee above my head. My eyes blinked against the blindfold, sweat slowly collected on my eyelashes.

013 instinctively pulled his head in, through the silence you could hear his egg wobbling dangerously back and forth.
"You better start praying if you're not going to go on right now. You want to go on living? Then go ahead!"
He took another step forward and touched solid ground. I came right after him.

"Player 013, pass.
"Player 067, pass.

I took off the blindfold, gasping, and put the spoon and egg on the floor. I rubbed my wet face and my burning eyes.

"Player 066, pass.

My attention was immediately diverted to the right. 066 also put her things down on the floor with trembling knees and pulled the blindfold off her eyes. Tears of relief ran down her face shining with sweat and our eyes met.

She got a relieved smile from me.

"We survived game number 2, 067".