| 17 |

HOME

The girl heavily coughs as she lifts her head, using her hands as support to lift herself up.

What happened?

Her head pounds as she recalls the explosion, her eyes wide as the smoke around them clears up.

"Namjoon?" She calls out, rushing to check on him. "Namjoon! Namjoon please!" She begs, running her thumb across his cheek.

Time slows down as she holds her breath, waiting for the boy to react.

When the boy gasps for air, she lets out a breath of relief.

"Thank goodness." She says, resting her forehead against his chest.

Coughing, the boy cranes his neck, groaning as he attempts to move.

"No!" EunAe quickly says. "Don't get up."

"You need to rest for a bit."

Not arguing, he lays back down, closing his eyes again. But trouble has not passed.

A few seconds later, in the midst of the silence and smoke, voices are heard, and they don't sound friendly at all.

Deeply inhaling, EunAe gets up, ready to defend him at all costs.

"Stay away from him." She says, her eyes glaring at the villagers. "We mean you no harm."

No matter what she says, she knows that they are more than likely not going to believe her words.

"Please, just let us go. We'll be on our way and leave your village as soon as possible."

"The dragon, is he your partner?" One of them asks.

Swallowing the thick lump in her throat, she slowly nods, the man's eyes surprisingly softening.

"Okay. But you best be on your way. It won't be long before the whole village gets here."

"Thank you."

Relieved, she rushes to him, helping him up to his feet.

"Quickly now! They're almost here."

EunAe knows he is trying to help but she is started to get annoyed. Did they not just shoot them out of the sky?

Groaning again, Namjoon stands up and wraps an arm protectively around her waist.

"I will try to slow them down. But I can't promise you anything."

"That's more than enough."

Together, the pair stumbles through the forest, struggling to keep their footing as they go.

They just need to go out far enough to be safe. However, given the shape that they are in, they don't get to cover as much distance as they'd like.

"EunAe." Namjoon croaks out, the girl shaking as she sets him down to rest by the roots of a tree.

"It's okay, we're safe." She says, running her hands through his hair in reassurance. "We're okay."