| 04 |

The Quest

This is it! It's finally here!

Sensing the girl's excitement, Namjoon follows her gaze down to the bottom of the entrance, where a small scroll patiently waits to be picked up by its owner.

Her excitement seems to be related to the scroll.

"It's finally here!" EunAe says hurrying to get the scroll, but her hope falters when Namjoon looks over her shoulder and asks, "what's that?"

"It's a quest." She says with a smile, lifting the scroll so that he can get a better look at it.

"A quest?" He asks and she nods her head, opening the door and leading him inside. "I've never heard of them." He adds tilting his head to the side.

"You've never heard of quests?" She asks and he shakes his head, his head hanging low.

"Well, don't worry." She says taking his hand, guiding him to her room. "I'll show you what a quest is!"

Namjoon shyly nods and follows the girl into the small bedroom, the walls decorated with pictures and artifacts varying in sizes and designs.

"Make yourself at home." EunAe says. "I'll bring you some water."

Namjoon gives a small nod, slowly walking around the room, taking his time examining each one, each artifact labeled with a date and some interesting facts about them.

Cute. He thinks to himself sitting on the small bed near the window. When EunAe comes in with the water, his eyes are immediately drawn to her, a fond smile on his face.

"Are all these artifacts from your quests?" He asks raising a curious brow but the girl shakes her head with a small smile.

"No, these are all souvenirs from my friends quests." She says handing him the glass. "They always bring me something when they go."

Namjoon hums in response and raises a brow. "So what are quests then?"

"Well, quests are a sort of adventure I guess, and only partnered people get to go, since they require special skills sometimes. There are many different types of quests and they vary depending on the pair, but they look like fun."

"I see." Namjoon says with a nod. "D-do these quests involve a lot of traveling?" He asks and realization dawns on her, recalling his words from earlier.

"Yes." She says. "But it's not required for a pair to go on a quest, so we don't have to do it. I know some people prefer to settle with their partner instead of venturing into the unknown, like my parents, so don't worry. There's no punishment if we don't go." She says with a sincere smile.

Upon hearing her words, Namjoon lets out a breath he didn't know he was holding, EunAe's heart clenching as she sees his sad expression. "I'm really sorry EunAe." He says looking at the floor. "I-I think they partnered you up with the wrong person."

"Hey. Just because we don't share the same goal, it doesn't mean that we are not meant to be." She says sitting next to him, her hand grabbing his. "I refuse to believe that." She firmly states. "Besides, I saw plenty of books in your library that I might ask to borrow."

"They are all yours." He says managing to give her a small smile.

                                                          ▼△▼△▼△▼

Later that day, Namjoon lies on his bed blankly staring at the ceiling, a million thoughts raising through his head.

It was clear that EunAe's dream is to go on a quest just like her friends, so why did she agree to stay with him?

The thought of going on a quest scares him, given his previous experiences when going into town, but the thought of losing his one and only partner, whom he had waited so long for, scares him even more.

Something warm glows in his heart when the image of her pops in his mind, her eyes basically sparkling as she talked about the quests and adventures her friends had been in, and it makes Namjoon realize that he wants that too.

After thinking about it for a while, he nods his head in determination and clenches his fists.

He has decided.

He will go on a quest for her.

Maybe this is a good opportunity for a change.

Hi lovelies! Sorry it took a while to update :/ but thank you for reading

Hi lovelies! Sorry it took a while to update :/ but thank you for reading. I hope you are doing well and that you enjoyed the chapter even though it was a bit short. Please stay safe and take care of yourselves. 💛
~Van
(2010.01.08)