CH 1: Ain't No Sunshine

CH 1: Ain't No Sunshine (Ever's POV)

Green eyes flash in fear to mine. A dart sits upon her hand. I rush to protect her. Putting my body between her and whatever may come our way.

Thump... Thump... Thump... Three shots to my back. I roar at the unseen attack. I try to pick up Hailey, to getaway. My knees give way before I can even stand. No, mine. Just don't hurt her, I think before all turns black.

Darkness... Ain't no sunshine when she's gone...

*********************

When I wake up she's gone. A small patch of her shirt is still in my hand. I may be a man, but when your whole world is ripped out from under you, you will cry too. My wolf, Kratos, is trying to rip my skin off to be free. I let him take over. He lets out a whine and howls at the rising sun.

A growl erupts from my left. I don't have the will to growl back. A large black wolf emerges. The color reminds me of my Sunshine's hair. So black it's almost blue. Power emits from the wolf. They are strong.

"What did you do with my daughter. I smell her scent all over you. What did you do with her?" The wolf mind-links me? Her mom of course. Royals are a part of all Packs, so they can link all wolves.

I shift and cover myself with the remains of my clothes before answering. "I would never hurt her. She is mine. I don't know what happened. She was here and now... she's gone."

"I don't believe you. You did something. Where is she?" The wolf growls again?

I reach behind me and pull one of the darts from my back. Palm up I show the wolf my evidence. "We were attacked. By what, by who, I do not know. I will find out. I will find her."

"You will stay away from her. This is your fault." My wolf whimpers. She is right. This is our fault. We couldn't protect her. We couldn't keep what's ours.

My chest contracts. This is my fault. I lost her. I stand not caring that the wolf sees me. Someone took her. They took her from us. They will pay. My vision blurs. A fury of red washes over my sight. In my anger, I attack the only thing I can. I ram my shoulder over and over again into the oak tree. It is a curse on my family. This place. It has ruined us all. Never again. I watch as the three-hundred-year-old tree falls. Never again will a Fury stand under this tree. Never again will another mate be harmed here.

"Fuck you tree," I growl while flipping it off as it falls. The thud of the tree brings me back to the here and now. I stand in front of a fallen tree, naked, in front of my future mother-in-law. Great.

"You are out of your mind!" The Queen shrieks at me.

Am I. Would anyone do less after losing their mate? I don't even know where to start looking for her. Luna Chasity joins us. She signed me in last night. We should have already left her woods by now.

"Shit, not another one." Chasity cries out. "Tell me they didn't attack you too. Your family has no luck here."

"What are you talking about?" The Queen asks before I can.

Chasity jumps at the address from the Queen. I don't think she knew what she was stepping into. "Was there an attack?"

"He claims there was." The Queen shouts pointing at me.