CH 24: Guardian Angel

CH 24: Guardian Angel (Michka's POV)

The moment the shot rang out I knew something bad was happening. A large body flew into mine and the impact crushed the air from my lungs. I lost the world for a second as my head bounced off the ground. Then everything came tumbling back in. Dian! I pull myself up to check him over and I find blood.

No! No, no, nooooo... This can't be happening. We were on a break, but things have been turning around. I can't lose him now. With the fighting around us, I'm afraid to shift back to human. I need to protect him. Someone approaches and I growl. It's just the guys. They are sending in help for Dian and I'm staying to protect him and then go with him.

Help arrives just seconds later and they half carry, half drag my mate out. I don't feel safe to shift until we are at the medical SUV that had just arrived. They work quickly to stabilize him. He's breathing but not well. His heart is beating but that could change any moment. They are already closing up the truck and I'm seated next to him holding his hand.

"Don't you dare run from me now Dian. You are going to stay with me. We are going to get our shit together and make this work. Our daughter needs you. I need you, so you are going to hold on for me. Okay just hold on." I talk to him all the way to the hospital. I beg, barter and yell at him. Anything and everything to keep from breaking.

Once we arrive at Wolfe hospital they sprint him away into emergency surgery. I pace outside the doors as they work on him. Someone had given me a gown to cover with, and later someone brought me clothes. Not really sure what they were but they are soft and are on my body now.

It feels like an eternity later before someone comes out with news. "The bullet grazed one of his lungs, but we have him stable. His wolf is already healing the laceration. He is still asleep from sedation during the surgery, but he should be awake in a few hours. We are moving him to a private room and you are welcome to stay with him while he sleeps."

"Thank you," I whisper in return. I mind link Sam of her son's condition and she assured me that Amelia is fine with her. To take care of her son and get some rest myself.

The room they have set up has guards out front and they let me pass with a nod. Well I guess I don't have to worry about protection duty for the night. The bed he is in is large, this is normal. The best medicine for any wolf is having his or her mate near. They have left me space on his uninjured left side. I look down at what I'm wearing a very large Tshirt and over sized sweat pants. I loss the pants and shirt and climb in next to him. He has a gown on and I pull it down so it's just covering his waist. Skin to skin.

I adjust his left arm to use as a pillow and carefully place my body around his. Angel comes to the surface and whispers sweet nothings to our Champion while I whisper words of encouragement and hope to our Guardian. Finally I let my tears fall and slip into a restless sleep holding my mate.

I wake with a start and see a pair of piercing blue eyes staring down at me. "Morning." I say a little shy.

"Morning." He replies back almost as shy. "Why do I feel like I was hit by a truck."

"No truck, just a bullet." His face scrunches at the thought and possible pain. "Do you need me to call the nurse?"

"No, I have everything I need right here. Someone promised me if I stayed, if I held on for her, that we would make this work. That we would get our shit together and be a family." He has a smile on his face as he looks down on me.

"And who would have promised such things." I smile up at him.

"I'm not sure," He says with grimace as he moves to hold me closer, "but if getting shot leads to having you naked in bed with me then use me for target practice."