CH 4: Rising Sun

CH 4: Rising Sun (Hailey's POV)

I'm being woken before the sun rises. Mom wants to leave out quickly. The doctors say I'm okay to fly but to take it easy. My body is still weak. The walk from the car to the jet was tiring, but I made it.

Everest had gone home last night. He said he would pack and see us in the morning. I'm starting to worry because I'm on the jet and he is not. As the sun breaks into the morning, I watch him roll up on a large motorcycle. He looks sinfully good on a bike. Rugged, tall, muscular, with his long hair pulled back and a neat trim beard, he could melt the panties off any girl. It's not just his good looks that have me squirming in my seat, it's the way he is with me.

I wish I could feel my wolf. I wish I could say he is my mate. He is everything I could have asked for and more. Everyone else on the jet is convinced he is lying, but I can not see why. The way he looks at me reminds me of the way dad looks at mom. Even when she is on a crazy streak.

"Good morning, Sunshine." He says boarding the jet. I motion for him to take the seat next to me and he does so with a smile. "You weren't trying to leave without me were you?"

"No. I was just trying to figure out where you were." I reach for his hand and he engulfs mine in his large paw-like hand. I feel stronger in his presence. I take that as a sign that he is not lying.

With Everest to my left, Jay and Dian are seated to my right. They spend about an hour catching me up on things back home. They tell me who is mated to whom. They are worse than the girls with gossip at times. By the end, I think they are the only two left unmated.

I tire easily these days and rest my head on Everest's mountain of a shoulder. I feel a small vibration emit from his chest and throughout his body. He is happy to be my pillow. The vibration lulls me quickly to sleep.

It is several hours later when I wake again. We are nearly home from what I catch of everyone's commentary. I am extremely comfortable laid across Everest's lap. He has a hand stroking my hair. When I open my eyes I look up into his bright blue ones. The look on his face is one of pure love. I blush and look away.

"We should have left later. They should have let you rest more. You are still healing." He says quietly as he continues to play with my hair.

"I'm fine. I promise. I think that was just some of the best sleep of my life." His smile widens and is almost brighter than the sun.

The jet is preparing to land, so I sit up. I already miss the feel of his warm body against mine. We all load into an SUV to head to the Kingdom. I make sure to be seated next to Everest. I feel like I am protecting him from my family.

"No need to get out just yet Hails. We are going to swing by the hospital to get you checked out." Mom sings out from the front.

"Not today, mom." I just got home. I have been looked over in Elders. I don't want to spend more time in the hospital.

"Do not get out of this car young lady." Why can't she just treat me like an adult and let me make my own decisions?

"I just got home. I'm sorry I'm not as strong as you. I'm doing the best I can. I am not going to the hospital today. You can cart me off tomorrow. But not today." I slowly get out of the truck and walk toward the house. I try to keep anyone from seeing the tears that have sprung to my eyes.

Mom goes to say something again, but this time Everest speaks for me. "She said not today." He wraps an arm around my waist and walks with me to the house.

He leans down and whispers in my ear, "Are you doing okay. Do you need me to carry you?"

"Not until we are inside. Once we are inside away from mom, please." I whisper back. I hear the SUV take off behind me. Mom's mad but she'll get over it.