CH 9: Sunny Smile

CH 9: Sunny Smile (Ever's POV)

This morning at breakfast, you can tell everyone partied a little too hard for the full moon last night. I think this is the quietest it has been here in the mornings. Everyone is speaking in low hushed tones.

Everyone but my mate. Hailey is all smiles this morning. An orgasm can do that for you. I wish I had that smile. Leigh and Oliver couldn't have waited another three minutes. I would have been done. Yes, I went back to the room and jerked off until I was nearly blind. It's just not the same as I would have been pressed against her.

Sunshine is having an exuberant conversation with Izza about some show she likes. Izza is smiling and nodding her head but doesn't look really present in the conversation. She is not sitting next to Jay either. He keeps shooting her glances, but she is ignoring them.

I'm about to pull Izza aside and ask her about what's going on when my phone rings. I smile when I look down and see that it's my momma.

"Hey mom," I say as I answer the phone. I'm seated next to Hailey and she is sitting sideways in her chair leaning against me. She looks up when I answer my phone and smiles.

"Oh hey honey, I just wanted to give you a heads up that Michka and I will be there tomorrow around midday." Mom relays through the phone.

"I know. I was informed by Hailey's parent last night." See they could have just let my mom call me or just let them show up. Okay, I am a little bitter that things got interrupted last night.

"Good. So how are things with you and Hailey?" She pries.

Before I can answer Hailey steals my phone. "Things are going great Mrs. V."

I can hear my mom reply, "Oh Hails, please call me V or mom."

Hailey pops up out of her seat and leaves me at the table with my phone still in her hand. "Where are you going with my phone, Sunshine." She just smiles and disappears around a corner. I have no worries. There are no secrets for her to find. If she wants to talk to my mom in private, I fear nothing my mom could say.

"She looks happy," Izza says while I'm still starting at the spot Hailey had just been.

"Yeah, but you, my friend, do not." Izza looks away from me.

"I had a long night." Is all she says.

"If you need an ear, you know I'm always here."

She reaches up and pulls on my ear. Good to know she hasn't lost her sense of humor, it's just buried. She had a small smile as she tugged, but it's gone again. She looks at Jay knowing he's listening. "There are some things I have to decide for myself. What's happening here is different than I imagined it would be?"

"What did you imagine." I watch Jay lean in closer. He's not even trying to hide his eavesdropping.

"Not this," Izza replies and leaves the table.

I watch Jay drop his head in his hands. "You want to chime in. Since you were listening."

"She won't talk to me about it. It has my wolf on edge and I fucked up last night because she won't talk to me. It's so... So... Grrr..." His ending growl comes out as a roar. He slams his fist on the table and leaves as well.

Hailey returns to the table then and hands me my phone. "Mom says she loves you." She said, mom. Not your mom, but just mom. "So what was all that about."

"Huh," She point to where Jay had been sitting. "Oh, he's frustrated with his mate."

"Wait were the two of you having a civil conversation." Her face is a full-on sunny bright smile as she asks. Jay means a lot to her, so I know it makes her happy that we are getting along.