CH 14: Knight Of Mine

Ch 14: Knight Of Mine (Izza's POV)

My mouth feels like scorpions have taken up home in it. I cough to try and get some relief and the pain that radiates through my ribs makes it harder to breathe. I gasp for air and it hurts. As I finally open up my eyes I stare at a familiar face, "Hey Doc." I cough out.

"Alpha, thank the Goddess you are awake."

"So what's the verdict. I can feel a few broken ribs."

He lets out a small laugh, "Always playing down your own pain. I remember when you broke your leg, you were what twelve."

I nod.

"You trained for a whole week on it before you let anyone know. You nearly ripped me apart when I had to rebreak it to set the cast."

"Yeah, yeah. Good times. So what kind of damage did I do today."

"You're right, you have a few broken ribs. Six to be exact. Multiple burns."

I interrupt, "If you have moved onto burns, I'll live. Wrap me up so I can get back out there."

"Alpha you nearly took yourself out blowing up those Rogues. You need to stay here."

I cough again and try to pull in extra air. My chest is tight, but I can't stay here. "I appreciate your concern, but I need to protect my people."

"Your people are fine. The Royal army has contained the threat."

"What, why are they here?"

"They are here to help. Now lie back down. Everything you have put yourself through isn't good for the pup."

"Pup what pup?" Even though I asked I already know his answer. I have felt slow and tired the last few days. Food hasn't stayed down. I brushed it off as exhaustion and the result of the constant fighting.

"You didn't know did you?"

"No, yes. I didn't want to know."

He pats my arm and leaves me sitting there with my thoughts. I have sex once in nine years, with a condom and I end up pregnant. The Goddess has a sick sense of humor. This is what I was trying to avoid. As my hand lowers over my abdomen I can't be upset about it. I even start to dream of what my child will look like.

When I look up Everest is standing in the doorway. He strides to the bed and sits next to me before pulling me in for a gentle hug.

"Don't ever pull shit like that again. If you need help, you ask." His tone is deep and full of authority. More authority than I have ever felt before. My friend, my cousin, is now King. I am happy for him.

"Yes my King," I respond absently.

"Stop with that King shit. You are my best friend. We have always been here for each other." His tone is a lot more gentle now and I relax into his embrace.

A growl from the doorway spikes my anxiety. He's here? Of course, he is here. Everest rises from the bed and smacks Jay on the shoulder at the doorway. "Good luck you two. I have a Queen waiting on me. Call me if you need anything." He speaks to Jay more than me.

Jay responds with a nod as he continues to stare daggers at me. "Hey." After every smart-mouth comment, I have ever said to him, all I can come up with now is hey.

He silently strides over to me so that he is directly in front of me. His hand raises and cups my chin before forcing me to look up at him. "I know you have no regard for yourself, but could you have at least thought about me for one moment." His voice is barely a whisper. "Or do you think that little of me?"