21

Love's POV

Seven years and seven months ago

Sweat is dripping from my forehead, causing me to wipe it away with the back of my hand. My hands are wrapped in black boxing gloves, one of many presents my Papa got me for Christmas.

The gym has had almost all of my attention lately. It's a healthy way for me to work off my anger, sadness, and self-hatred.

Mami has been more concerned than most, but Papa assured her that how I'm coping is in no way harming me. Her complaints have died down to a minimum since I said boxing would help my body stay in shape.

The owner of the gym I've been training at, Carlos, is a good friend of my Papa's. He's been helping me for the past three months, showing me how to channel my energy into a punch.

I've always known how to fight, but this was different. I felt more in control, but still I often found myself not being able to quit punching, even when someone had to pull me off of my (now ex) partner Joshua.

It's something about being on top of someone and seeing the fear cloud in their eyes. I shouldn't like it, I know it's wrong, but I do. And I hate myself for it. I hate myself for enjoying and embracing the darkest parts of myself.

I quite frequently catch myself looking in the mirror and questioning who I'm becoming. I couldn't blame this on Enzo, he didn't do this to me. I let myself fall into a dark hole, now too steep to climb myself out of. This was on me.

Leo, my new boxing partner is now standing in front of me in the ring, putting on his gloves. He's taller and more buff than I was expecting, but I like a challenge.

"Ready?" He says, and I nod.

He looks at me to throw the first punch, but I gesture to him. He shrugs, then his arm swings, and I duck it swiftly, just before throwing my right fist into his jaw. He shakes it off, and comes back for more.

We continue this cycle for at least forty minutes, and by the time he taps out, blood is dripping from his face, and a purple mark is around his eye. "You're good." He unwraps his hands, and shakes mine.

He only got two pretty good punches in, but I think he was purposely going easy on me because I'm a woman, which I hate. If you're going to fight me, fight me like you mean it. I didn't come here to be handled like a glass box.

"Thanks."

"Lot of pent up anger, huh?" He points his hand to his swollen face, and I laugh.

"Sorry, I got carried away. You can switch with someone else if you'd like. I won't be sad." I smirk, taking a gulp of my water.

"Nah, this'll be fun. You're here often?"

"Four days a week." I say, looking up at him, now noticing his nose is bleeding. "Um, your nose."

"Shit." He brings his hands to his nose, and leaves the ring, "see you around!" He calls, running toward the restrooms.

I check my phone to see a message from Mami, saying she's outside.

I wave goodbye to everyone in the front before going outside and seeing her black Mercedes. I get inside, and she greets me. "How was it? You're sweating like crazy."

"It was good. I think I want to fight with someone new, someone who will really put in effort." I take another sip of the water, waiting for her to pull off.