43

Lorenzo's POV

It had been two days since I left Love's apartment, my head filled with questions.

Christian and I were in route to our trusted computer and data analyst after our failed attempts to identify who had taken the incriminating photos of me.

"Do you think it's time to tell her?" Christian's voice broke the silence, causing my grip on the steering wheel to tighten.

"Tell her what?" I replied sharply, my eyes fixed on the road ahead. I knew exactly what he meant.

"Things are escalating," he responded, "she might find out from someone else."

"Someone like who?" I shifted my gaze to him. "Only you and Ben know. I won't tell her until it's absolutely necessary."

"You're going to end up alone again, boss," Christian remarked. I chose to ignore his comment.

He was right, though.

Ten minutes later, we pulled up outside Ben's house, where our computer genius, Marcos, was set up.

Ben greeted us casually as we approached the front door. "Sup, bitches," he said, but I wasn't in the mood for his shit. "Whoa, what's got you in a mood, Boss?"

Ignoring his question, I made my way inside, my mind focused on the looming issues at hand.

I hadn't seen my team in person since I left the country with Love. Despite the distance, we kept in touch, especially as they worked tirelessly to find Volkov.

Approaching Marcos, who was looking at multiple screens of complex data, I made my presence known.

"Marcos," I addressed him, and he turned his chair to face me, standing to shake my hand.

"Boss, good to see you," he greeted warmly.

I placed the envelope containing photos on his desk, next to his keyboard. He picked them up, his eyes quickly scanning the contents.

"I'll need at least an hour to thoroughly analyze these," Marcos informed me.

I nodded. "Take your time. I need to know who's behind this." Leaving him to his task, I joined Ben and Christian, who were already settling in with beers in hand.

"What are your theories?" I asked, taking a seat across from them.

"On?" Ben replied, taking a sip.

"Volkov, obviously," Christian chimed in.

"Ah," Ben grinned sheepishly, "there hasn't been any word on him in the states recently."

"Yeah," Christian added, "he hasn't been around here in months."

"That doesn't add up," I muttered, running a hand through my hair. "Some of these photos were taken just before I traveled with Love."

"Do we think Volkov gets his hands dirty personally?" Ben pondered.

"Someone from his inner circle must've stayed behind, keeping tabs on you," Christian suggested.

Nearly an hour passed as we discussed and exchanged theories.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I glanced at the screen to see a message from Love.

Lovebug: I haven't heard from you. Are you okay?

A smile tugged at my lips, and I quickly typed out a response.

Me: I'm working. Miss me? ;)

Lovebug: Don't flatter yourself.

Followed by an eye roll emoji.

Another message followed shortly after.

Lovebug: Do you think it's too soon to reach out to Santiago? I miss Lina.

Me: No. It shows you're not giving up on winning them back.

I sent another message.

Me: Need my help?

Lovebug: No, thanks. When are you coming over?

Before I could continue the conversation, Marcos interrupted, announcing that he had identified the photographer.

Christian and Ben followed me back to Marcos.

"I used our files to pinpoint exactly where and when you killed the bastards in the photos," Marcos explained.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "And that led you to the photographer?"

Marcos turned to the main computer screen, drawing us in closer. "I scoured surrounding traffic cameras, all of which were wiped during the time you were in each building," Marcos began. "But the dummy overlooked cameras at local restaurants." He pulled up a pixelated image, which slowly came into focus.

Recognition flashed across my face as I studied the photo. "Joshua," I muttered, causing the others to turn toward me.

"You know him?" Ben asked.

"Too well," I replied.

"What's his connection to Volkov?"

"Is he Volkov's son?" Christian interjected.

Marcos sighed. "Actually, Ivan Volkov died under suspicious circumstances shortly after being adopted."

"What the hell is going on?" Ben's voice was laced with concern.

"After extensive facial recognition and birth record searches, I found this," Marcos said, handing me a folder.

I opened it, my heart sinking at the sight of a birth certificate.

Mother: Lucia Gallo

Father: Unknown

Baby: Joshua Castillo

Christian leaned in to get a better look. "Alessandro had another child besides you?"

Speechless, I couldn't fathom how this was possible.

"No," Marcos clarified. "I knew Alessandro well. This wasn't one of his secrets."

"Why do Joshua and I share the same name if he isn't my father's son?" I questioned, my mind reeling.

"Notice the name of the mother?" Christian pointed out.

"Lucia..." I trailed off, trying to recall the significance.

"Our Uncle Leonardo's ex-girlfriend," Christian revealed, equally shocked.

"Joshua Castillo," Marcos continued, "is your cousin. Son of Leonardo Castillo."

"How did I not know about this?" The weight of this information settled heavily on me.

"I worked for your father during Joshua's birth, not closely, but close enough," Marcos explained. "I was kept in the dark about a lot, but something never felt right about the situation."

"And?" Ben pressed.

"I overheard Alessandro and Leonardo discussing the newborn," Marcos elaborated. "Your grandfather refused to accept Joshua as part of the family since Lucia came from a poor family. Leonardo was banished from claiming him, despite being the firstborn male grandchild. I didn't see any significance until now."

"Castillo's only do shit if there's profit involved," I stated, piecing together the puzzle.

"Your grandfather wouldn't allow any association with Joshua that didn't benefit him or your family," Marcos confirmed.

"And now Joshua somehow knows about me?" I asked, confused.

"I don't have all the answers," Marcos admitted, returning his focus to the screens before him. "Yet."

Left with more questions than answers, I abruptly went outside, hurrying to my car. Ignoring Christian and Ben following, I sped off.

-

Joshua Castillo, hmmm

Stay tuned ;)

With all my love, Lola