Chapter 3 : Good News And Bad News

Manik and Nandini decided to officially announce the good news after the wedding. It was Mukti's time to shine and they really didn't wish to steal her thunder.

It was 6AM in the morning and it was obviously very chilly outside. Nandini and Manik were sleeping cozily under their warm quilt. Manik stirred a bit and opened his eyes, and muttered something.

"Oh, that was a dream..." Manik realised and smiled at his stupidity, he looked and Nandini sleeping peacefully, with her arms around him and her legs over him.

"I love you." He said softly, this calloused thumb grazing her cheek. Nandini woke up, being a light sleeper. But she had a smile on her face.

"I love you too." Nandini muttered, placing a peck on his cheek.

"Did I wake you up?"

"No...I was half-awake." Nandini said and stretched, letting go of him. She sat up straight, picking up Manik's shirt and slipping it on.

"Show me your hands." Manik said.

Nandini showed him her mehendi-clad hands sleepily.

"Damn pretty. How does it always get so dark?" Manik kissed her hands.

"Because you love me so much. Now come, let's take a walk in the garden. It'll be lovely." Nandini held his hand and pulled him.

"Nahi na..."

"Haan naa...please? For me? Wait,for our baby!" Nandini made a cute face.

"Yaar tum aise hi cute faces banati ho aur main patt jaata hu. Not fair. And now you are using our baby? Tch tch tch Nandu." Manik teased and got up when Nandini smacked his arm playfully. They brushed their teeth and put on hoodies.

Manik grinned looking at Nandini. She looked very cute with her oversized hoodie and two low ponytails.

"Khudko mirror main dekha hai? Khud bachhi lagti ho, aur tum ek maa banne wali ho?" Manik said, pinching her cheek. Nandini rolled her eyes and they entered the garden.

The sun had risen but the sky was still not too bright. They could still feel the night lingering, and the cold did not help. Manik and Nandini sat on the grass, with Manik lying down, his head on her lap.

"Comfortable?" He asked.

"Very." She answered.

They were silent for a while, enjoying the tranquility. It helped to clear their minds and look forward to their new journey.

"Would you like a boy or girl?" Nandini asked, playing with Manik's hair.

"That's a stupid question. I would like a puppy."

Nandini gave him a blank stare.

"Sorry, you know I love that stare you give." Manik laughed and took her hand in his.

"Any. It doesn't matter. We would love the baby unconditionally, regardless of gender and sexual orientation, likes, dislikes." Manik answered honestly.

"Very true. After looking at our lives and our friends', my views on parenting have changed." Nandini added.

"Yeah-" Manik's phone pinged and he checked his message.

"Fuck!" He sat up straight.

"Kya hua?!" Nandini was alarmed by his actions.

"Nandini, how many months pregnant are you?" Manik asked, panicking.

"I think a month." Nandini did some calculations.

"Crap!" Manik kicked the ground in frustration.