Chapter 4 : Mukti And Zubin

Manik and Nandini were lying on the bed, with Nandini's head on Manik's chest.

"Manik, everything will change in a few months." Nandini said, after a few moments of silence.

"I know. It's scary and exciting at the same time."

"It's mostly scary, Manik. Mere body main already changes ho rahe hai." Nandini said, hugging him more tightly and Manik could feel the tension in her grip.

"It's okay na, Nandu. Doctor said it's normal, right?"

"Yeah, but it is so overwhelming. 8 months mein hamara ek baby hoga. It won't be just the two of us. We will have a responsibility, a huge one. Vo sab chhodo. Uske pehle, I will be carrying a human inside me."

"Vo toh hai. Tum toh ho hi chhotu si, how will you carry another human?" Manik asked.

"Manik! Shut up."

Manik laughed, turning towards her.

"Nandini, you were the best enemy, the best friend, the best girl friend, and now, the best wife. I am pretty sure you'll be the best mother." Manik assured her.

Nandini smiled and nodded.

"Mujhe toh mera nahi pata. I have never felt that father's love like this. Like...it was always love from a distance. I have no idea how I am supposed to take care of our child."

"I think you'll be fine. There is a reason why you are Adah's favourite."

"She is not our child na, Nandini. She's like my niece."

"You never make her feel like she's your niece. Don't worry Manik. It will come naturally to you. Don't doubt your paternal skills."

"Father...that word has another meaning for me now. It feels heavy."

"Manik, we'll be the best parents ever." Nandini said, scooting closer.

"Ever."

-----

Nandini was roaming around, with a large bowl of Haldi in her hands.

"Careful!" She heard as she bumped into Manik.

"I am so sorry! Manik, let's go and get your kurta changed. Again, I am so sorry!" Nandini rubbed the Haldi off Manik, but she ended up messing it up.

"Chill baba." They walked into their room which was just nearby.

"You look beautiful." Manik said, back hugging Nandini as soon as they were inside.

"Thank you." Nandini replied, blushing. She was taking out a fresh new kurta for Manik while he was busy nuzzling her neck.

"Manik, change please?" Nandini requested.

"As you say, madame." Manik took off his stained kurta and tossed it over the chair. Meanwhile, Nandini picked up the Haldi bowl and turned to leave when Manik pulled her by holding her arm.

"Mani-"

"Shh!"

Nandini didn't push him away and just stood, admiring his face.

"This reminds me of our Haldi. It's already been two years since our wedding."

"True and I love you Manik!" Nandini said.

"I love you too, and the little one inside, I love you." Manik said, tracing Nandini's belly.

"The little one loves you back." Nandini replied, kissing his cheek.