Chapter 54

While we headed to the hotel where they were staying Kaelyn pointed out some of the sights. Merchants from across Africa, groups of pirates from the Barbary islands. At one point she pulled me to the side of the road as a group of heavily armed horsemen rode past. They wore armor the gleamed in the sunlight, and conical metal helmets. Curved swords and large round shields hung at their sides, and spears with colorful cloth were held in one hand.

Once they had left and everyone returned to walking in the street, I asked, "Who were they."

"Those are soldiers of the royal family that rules this city and it's lands. They are not good people and one of the Princes tried to buy me when I was being auctioned. I avoid being seen by them since I'm treated better than their definition of a female slave."

Since she had brought it up, and I saw nothing but houses and other buildings around us I asked, "So has he treated you well?"

Softly her reply came, "In a way yes. He has never used me and as he told you my body is mine to command. But I act as his puppet, going to fancy parties and banquets to be shown off as his prize. He was not lying when he called me his business associate, I do help with a fair amount of his business. His books are far more complicated than father's. But he uses the friendships I have made to keep me in line. Mei is my closest friend and confidant, but we have to be careful as Leoric will punish us in unique ways..."

Her words had me trying to decide if I was angry or not at the man who had stolen Kaelyns freedom. Despite the fact she was a slave, her condition was not as bad as I had expected it to be.

"Does Leoric have any family?"

Kaelyn took a breath before replying, "No, or at least none that are alive. His wife and daughter were killed before he bought me. He won't speak of them, but the house has a woman's touch. Speaking of, he will most likely keep you in the house until an agreement can be made for where you will live. I might be able to convince him to let you stay with me, pretending we are lovers. But that is entirely up to you. It would not be the first time we had shared a bed together."

The thought of being Kaelyns lover had my head spinning. Gone was the shy woman I had first met. My heart still wanted to be with her, but I knew that living with her was going to be a challenge. Before we had shared a bed out of necessity to survive the harsh winter in the wilds. Now would be a different type of survival, as I had entered a world unfamiliar to me.

"Is your room big enough for all the gear I'm going to have, or is there a shed I can store it? Also will he not figure out we are tricking him when he does not here the regular noises of lovers and such."

My face burned as I said such, I had heard Cassie and Ezekiel having their fun late at night when the children were still toddlers. Of course I had no experience with such things, but Kaelyn knew that.

"Yes Z. I'm not trying to brag but my room is the size of the house you and and your family live in. Father never had anything so big, and I never wanted something like that. But I am the American beauty, so I have to have a room to suit my fame. Leoric does not eaves drop on me, and besides it is not like we do not know what is supposed to happen. There are plenty of ways to keep up the ruse."

Before I was able to respond we came to a stop outside of a large stone building. The stone looked to be marble, from its white coloration. The doors were of some type of exotic wood, the color a pink I had only seen on a few flowers. Two men were outside the doors, dressed in armor and each holding a spear.

Kaelyn swept right passed them as the doors opened inwards. Following her inside I nearly tripped on the soft rug. Looking at it I was entranced by the patterns scrawling through it. I also realized that the room was lit, and not by torches. The ceiling was an arched dome of glass, with sunlight filtering through the various colored panes. It was beautiful in a way. Still though it made me wonder what they used at night for light.