Chapter 45

I was racing across the ground, blood pounding as I chased the men carrying HER. All around me were the sounds of battle, but all I focused on was getting to HER. The men were intent on reaching the ships that loomed alongside the docks ahead. I had to get to them and HER before they reached the ship....

Pounding roused me from the dream I had been having. Alert and feeling my heart racing from the seemingly real dream, I sat up, throwing the coarse blankets off me as as I did.

"Z, open the door," a voice called out.

Slipping my bare feet to the smooth wood planks of the cabin, I stood up. Ignoring the spear that lay on the small table, as the speaker knew me by name, I walked over to the door. Unlatching the small bolt, I pulled it partially open, looking out into the small hallway as I did.

Lucia backed up a step, and I was forced to blink to have my eyes adjust to the dimly lit hall. Normally there were lamps lit to provide light but they were dimmed for some reason. Before I could ask what was going on she hurriedly informed me, "We spotted three ships in the distance. They appear to be fighting."

Mind racing I darted around the cabin, pulling on my travel worn clothing that were my everyday wear. As I did, I could hear Lucia muttering in her native language. I had little experience with Spanish, but from the tone of her voice she sounded to be speaking darkly about something. I the time we had be together I had only heard her use it when she was agitated, which three ships fighting were just the type of thing to agitate most anyone.

Ready, I snatched the short spear and animal hide shield as I walked out of the room. Besides them I has my knives attached to my belt, though I would stick with the spear as long as I could.

Muttering a final word under her breath as she saw me, Lucia disappeared down the hall in a flurry of skirts. Mindful of the spear, I followed after her, my thoughts racing as I considered the possibility of who was on the ships. Even if she was though, I still had to get to her. Calming my thoughts before they took over, I shielded m eyes as we went through a doorway and out onto the deck. Blue sky surrounded us, the sun bright and shining off the water around us.

All around the crew were preparing for the upcoming fight. I knew each was a warrior of their tribes, but all of them carried spears or in a few cases curved swords. The ship did not carry cannons like others I had seen, instead it was armed with what Adaire called a ballista. I had never seen one before, but it looked like a giant crossbow. There were five of the weapons per side, capable of lobbing four foot spears, small eight pound rocks, or glass spheres containing various chemicals. I was interested to see them in action, as I had only seen the results of cannons so far.

Adaire stood just to the right of the wheel, calling out orders to the sailors in his native language. As I walked over to him, Lucia called out, "Jamila needs my help. Try not to let them kill you country boy."

Furrowing my brow at her statement, unsure what to make of it, I heard Adaire break off into a string of curses. For whatever reason he preferred to curse in a mix of English, Spanish, and what was called French. Concerned as he was more experienced than me in warfare, I rushed over to him.

Noticing me, Adaire nodded his head as he commented, "Stay near me, my friend. I have no desire to watch you die and have to tell that sister of yours."

Gritting my teeth as I knew what he meant, I nodded my head without a word. Cassie had been furious enough when I had come home after being gone all winter. Even more so when she learned that Kaelyn had been hurt.

Kaelyn! Who now was somewhere out there, possibly on one if those ships. Grief surged through my body as my dream and the memory of watching her bundled onto the ship flashed in my mind. I would make it right, no matter how long it took to get to her.