Chapter 6

Having started the fire and its orange flames strong enough that a small breeze would not kill it, I called out, "You can come over now, the fire is nice and warm."

Kaelyn did not have to be told twice as she picked her way across the wet dirt and unceremoniusly sat on the ground. Despite her dress being one of beauty and probably expensive, here she was sitting in the dirt. I had never thought that the day would come, when I would see a women from one of the Walled Cities willingly sit in the dirt. There was nothing wrong with sitting in the dirt, I did it often enough. Perhaps there was more to Kaelyn than I had thought.

Reminding myself that Kaelyn would start staring if I went off on this mental tangent any longer, I asked, "What do you intend with your new found freedom. I know you have your reasons for leaving Notredram, and they are your secrets to keep or share." This part I added as Kaelyn had begun to open her mouth to no doubt protest or argue.

For some odd reason in the the short time we had been together, I had come to enjoy the fact that she had made it known when she disagreed with me. Besides my sister who did the same, I rarely listened long to someone when they started to argue with me. Trading was different, but even then I did not spend more time than I felt necessary to strike a deal with merchants.

Disagreement could be bad between partners, as if she joined me I would consider her a partner in all my trading. Considering her joining me as a companion was not that hard, as she had few options currently. With time she would get to know who I was and then her opinions involving my notions of right and wrong and what I thought of her would change. Besides there were numerous traders I had met who traveled and traded in pairs or groups.

My silence as I thought apparently put Kaelyn ill at ease, as she quietly but firmly demanded, "What? Do you think I did something that horrible to leave Notredram?"

Caught unawares at such a statement, I stared at her wide eyes for a moment as I considered my response. In the brief silence the fire cracked and popped as a ball of sap burst in a branch. How had this simple talk around the fire become so complex. All I wanted was to see if she was willing to join me or if she wanted to try her luck at living life alone in the wild as I did when I was not at home with my brother and his family.

Having become consumed in my thoughts, I forgot that Kaelyn had asked me a question. She did not allow me forgot long, as she made it known that she was annoyed with my lack of an answer with, "Well. What horrible thing do you think I did that led to me leaving my home and everything I knew."

Needing to resolve this quickly as a glance at the sky told me that we were losing valuable time, I replied as kindly as I could, "You did not leave because of something you did. In fact you no doubt left because of something done to you."

This was exactly what she had been least expecting as her opened mouth closed slightly so her lips formed an o. Even though it was probably rude of me, I could not help but smile at the sight. She had no idea how much I really knew about her people and their customs. I would keep this a secret for now, as I had yet to ask her if she even wanted to come with me.

Seeing how my my subtle hint from this morning had yet to get a reaction and with the fire dying, I stated "Well, we should get going."

Kaelyn stared blankly at me as I got ready to stand up. She finally processed what I had said as she asked hesitantly, "We? As in I traveling with you? You don't mind my company, or me for that matter?"

Shock I had been expecting, but this sudden lack of faith in herself was completely unexpected. What had they done to her in that city? I knew of the traditions and customs that those of the Walled Cities followed, but I still felt my body tense up in anger. No person deserved a life where they were unsure of their own decisions.

This was something I would deal with another day, as I still had to answer her questions. Of course I wanted her to come with me, despite her choice in clothing, and her overall lack of any knowledge that would keep her alive out here. Maybe I was tired of wandering the land alone, or maybe my brother and sister in law were finally getting to me. They had been telling me for over a year that I should start looking for someone to settle down with. I did not know if Kaelyn was that person but whatever the case, I found it not surprising as I replied, "Yes. If you want to that is. I know you are used to a life of luxury and safety, and the life I am offering is far from it. But I think you will come to enjoy this life, as I have. Besides," and quieter I mumbled, "What do you have to lose?"

Mercifully Kaelyn did not notice my last sentence as there was much she could still lose. Instead she smiled at me before becoming hysterical with tears while saying, "Thank you. I was so lost yesterday and then I saw your campfire. Then you went from pointing a gun at me to allowing me to warm myself. And even though it was not my choice, you made a shelter that kept us alive last night... You really want me to come with you? I mean of course you do, otherwise you would not have asked, but why?"

Amazed at her reaction as she was a mess by my standards, I stared at her. How was I going to explain to her my reasons for wanting her, a runaway from Notredram without making myself sound horrible. Kaelyn had fled everything she had known to avoid being stuck with a man the rest of her life, now here I was offering her different form of union. For now I would keep it simple, as all I needed was for her to understand that I wanted her company.

Her crying stopped almost as quickly as it had began, and while she dabbed at her face, which had become red and slightly puffy with her crying, I explained as best I could, "My reasons are my own for now, as to tell you the truth, I do not know why I want you to come. But if you will come with me then I will do my best to treat you as an equal in all aspects. There are some simple rules I would like you to follow. Work hard, listen to me, and please if you have questions, ask. But don't ask me more than two at a time, otherwise I will get lost in my own explanations."

Without a word of disagreement, she nodded her head and excitedly replied, "Yes. You won't regret this. I know our people groups have a strong dislike for each other, but I will try and learn your people's ways."

Having spent enough time talking and with a full day of walking in front of us, I quickly dug out a packet of dried meat and other food. Tossing it to Kaelyn, I grunted, "We will stop at noon to eat. Watch your step and please keep up."