Chapter 2

My words must have hit a sore spot as Shaw sighed heavily and nodded his head. Feeling bad that I had caused him such sadness despite the truth to my words, I added, "Perhaps I can bring my niece, nephew, and their mother with me on my next trip? None of them have ever seen a city before."

At this the older man perked up and nodding his head in agreement left me to my business. Pleased with myself for cheering up Shaw, I started walking to the nearby warehouse. Shaw's promised rations would be held there, and I wanted to get them and my gold as soon as possible. Nothing would be needed other than the pelts and metal to acquire the price we had come to.

In the short trip it took to move from the square to the nearby warehouse, I spotted multiple people out in the streets. None looked at me with the hostility that the guards had; which was nice, yet none made any attempt at conversation or tried to show they noticed me. Having short mangy looking hair and a partial feral look in my yellow green eyes really did not help my cause. Yet I paid no attention to their distrust, instead noting the clothing they wore.

None of them had on anything that was bright or that could be considered anything other than dull. In the five years I had been trading with the Walled Cities, I had never seen any of them wear anything colorful. Not that my clothing was much better, as I wore simple black wool pants and a thin green homespun cotton shirt with a buckskin shirt overtop. I never could understand why they chose to live in such a way, but it was not for me to judge. City dwellers and Outlanders simply held different beliefs and customs.

Rather than dwell on the distrust the Walled Cities held towards me, I allowed my mind to wander as I finished my short journey to the warehouse. Like Shaw the warehouse clerk knew me well and upon my entry he stated, "Place them on the table."

Following his direction I did so with care, and after the last fur was stacked I calmly informed him, "Shaw and I agreed on three hundred in gold or silver, and one weeks rations."

Averting his gaze from his books to look at me the clerk questioned, "Your sure you do not want something else? I have good tools, hardy seed for planting, and bullets for your firearms."

Despite having wanted the gold for bartering with other Outlanders, seed was hard to come by in the outlands as many farmers kept their crops for themselves. Their price for the seed might be cheaper, but they rarely sold any and my sister in law enjoyed having a small garden. But at the same time I was hesitant to take the seed. Despite it being valuable and hardy, the deep woods where I lived was known for harsh and odd weather. Elsewhere the seed would no doubt be fine, but there it was a gamble to use such seed. Perhaps in the spring I would try some of it, but with winter so close the seed was useless right now.

Deciding it was not worth the risk I politely inquired, "Do you have firearms for sale?"

Currently I had all I the guns I needed, but getting a small rifle for my niece and nephew was never out of the question. Besides I did not really need the gold or silver. My brother and his family were able to take care of themselves and most of the meat from the animals I killed for fur went to them.

Without even glancing at his book the clerk replied, "No... but I do have a pellet gun."

Having never heard of a pellet gun before I asked, "Can you get it for me. I would like to see it before I make my decision."

Nodding his mostly bald head and with a soft rustle and screech as he slid his chair back and stood up, he disappeared into the gloomy interior of the building. Tracking his progress by sound, I waited as he shuffled around looking for this pellet gun. Occasionally my attentions were diverted by birds nesting in the rafters of the building, as they moved or called out.