Chapter 30

It had been two days since I and Kaelyn had agreed to sleep in the same bed for warmth. While some people might disapprove, neither of us felt that it was odd after our talk. Since we had seen each other in our underclothes, we continued to sleep this way, allowing our heat to create a warm place beneath the blankets. In the mornings when we woke up all tangled we smiled at each other and politely with a few laughs untangled. Neither of us tried to invade the others privacy, as we both grew accustomed to me helping Kaelyn put on one of her dresses.

Despite us sleeping together, with three blankets and each other, Kaelyn had woken up coughing each morning. I worried that the cough was a sign that something was damaged inside of her. This had always been a possibility but I had been hoping that she would have healed without any problems. Now I was unsure if she could continue to live out here as the weather got even colder.

I knew of a rare bloom from a specific flower that was known for healing injuries or illnesses or the lung and throat. Unfortunately that plant was a five day journey from the coast. Even had she been in perfect health, I would have been reluctant to leave her alone for more than a day. Kaelyn could cook and make a fire snd fetch water, but she did not know much about trapping or even fishing. I knew that there was enough food to feed her for the five days I was gone. Still I did not like the idea and wanted to give her a tea first.

Rather than make it myself, I wanted to teach her how to make it. This way if I needed to leave she knew how to make it or other teas that would help her until I returned. A mix of Fluffed Hairgrass and Burdock would hopefully help her get over her cough. Weeping Willow could also be helpful as it helped people boost their system and help the body fight whatever sickness they had.

For now I waited as she sat cooking breakfast. Meat was a common occurrence in our meals as it was an easy thing to get, even if in small amounts. Today breakfast was seared fish, with a few small greens on the side. Fish was a nice change once in awhile, and I was glad that the traps still produced one or two a week.

Since breakfast was nearly ready, I got up and grabbed both plates from where they sat. Plates in hand, I walked back over and sat down on the floor, my back pressed up against the side of the bed. While I watched her cook my thoughts drifted to my brother and his family. Cassie would be worried by now and while I knew that Ezekiel would try not to show it, he would be worried as well. Both of them knew I was more than capable of surviving alone, yet I had never disappeared on them like this before. Logically there was nothing I could do about it, still I disliked the amount of worry my absence had and would cause to my family. This Spring, I would make it right and try to spend more time with them.

For now my focus was on keeping us alive, and that meant eating the fish whether it smelled burnt or not. Kaelyn was still learning how to prepare meat so I could not fault her for burning the meat some. Food was food, and when my portion was given to me I ate it gladly. While I ate my thoughts drifted again, this time to Christmas. Despite our current situation, I had always celebrated Christmas and being away from home was not going to change that. What I was going to give Kaelyn was a interesting question, as I would have to make it, without her knowing or seeing. There were a few things that I could think of, and a couple of them stood out to me as things she would be happy to have. With this in mind, I started a list of materials that I needed to locate in my outings.

Breakfast came to an end as both Kaelyn and I finished our meal and after washing our dishes I informed her, "I think you have something wrong with your lung. There is a plant I know of that can help heal it, but it is nearly a weeks journey there and back. Before I leave I want to make sure you know how to brew teas to help you stay strong and heal. This is something I should have already shown you but we have been too busy for me too. I promise it is fairly easy and not that difficult to do."