7. Is It a Date?

It's late in the evening, the cafe is dimly lit, the way I like. But it's also already freezing and my hands are slightly shaky.

It's quiet, with a few people around and Marie working behind the counter. The deep red walls adorned with paintings of the seaside help me ease into my seat in peace.

I had come in an hour early from what Cassius and I discussed because I wanted to try to finish my book...

And because I was too excited and wanted our date to begin already. Or was it just a meeting? Or a friendly chat?

God, I'm not equipped to handle this...

But my self-pitying thoughts were quickly pushed out of the way when I saw him...

Who's also an hour early, by the way.

We both give each other a beaming smile, thinking the same thing.

But in regular Ardent manner, he taunts "Careful Alettra, I might think you were actually excited to meet me."

I roll my eyes and throw back, "Says the man who also came in an hour early to meet me or is Marie's coffee really just that good?"

Marie throws me a glare to which I hold my hands up and repent, "Because then you are right to come in early, I'm surprised people from Brazil aren't racing down to Rosa's to try her coffee."

Marie smirks and shakes her head muttering "Damn straight."

Cassius and I sit down, chuckling.

He's in a simple grey top and black jeans, but still looks so put together.

Marie comes over and puts down his black coffee on the table. "I hope, young man, you treat Alettra well."

Perplexed, I attempt to correct her but Cassius beats me to it, "Nothing but good intentions from me Marie", while sending a wink my way.

That wink will kill me one day.

He looks at my book and lets out a low whistle, "You never cease to amaze me Alettra, 'Carrie' by Stephen King at night, really?"

I shrug it "It calms me, believe it or not."

"So how was dress shopping with my cousin?", he asked.

I sit up straight and start to tell him all about my day with Liz, how she practically made me run to each and store and try on everything. He listens intently and asks quite a few questions.

But I stop when he asks me about my dress.

"Oh, well, umm m-my dress is a... A surprise." I managed to get out. His perfectly arched eyebrows rise and I can't help but laugh.

I then ask whether he is going to be there to overlook the security team of the event and when he replies yes, I sigh in relief.

Though there was pressure to look good for this night, it would be worth it if he could see me when I'm dolled up.

Right now, however, my outfit was a baggy sweatshirt and jogging bottoms. In my defence, it was really late in the day to attempt to look put together.

He then keeps pressing on about my dress, "At least tell me the colour of it."

I relent with a simple explanation that it's blue to which he then again questions me.

"Just blue. Tell me what kind of blue at least?"

"A nice blue, a deep cobalt like blue." I answer back.

He gives me a glare, "That really doesn't help me, Alettra, just give me an example."

I finally let out, "Blue like your eyes."

Then there is, of course, the moment of silence that comes after saying something wrong.

He then leans forward, his piercing eyes trained on me like a predator with a devilish grin.

"So my eyes are a 'nice' blue then, Alettra."

I blink slowly unsure, his boldness was actually contagious and often made me go out of my comfort zone many times.

"I don't know what you're on about Cassie, I don't recall saying that."

But before he can answer back, Marie of course cuts "You did dear, as clear as day, even those in Brazil could hear it."

I bite back a grin while Cassius laughs.

He pauses and accuses "Did you just call me Cassie?"

I look down and apologise. Perhaps it was too personal to call him that.

"Look at me please, Alettra" he softly demands.

I was wrong. That tone in his voice will be the death of me.

I lift my head at him and see a gentle smile on his face. "You Alettra, can call me whatever you like, Cassius, Cass, Cassie, even Sweetheart if you're really feeling brave."

I laugh and hide my face in my hands.

Feeling bold, I say "So does that mean Ronnie is also allowed to call you Sweetheart."

His smile falls from his face and he replies in horror, "Oh God no, I don't even like him calling me Cassie but I only caved in when he started getting too comfortable with the nickname Sweetheart, same with Liz but she's too stubborn to even listen."

We talk about books and the event tomorrow easing into a nice flow. I question him on his job a bit as well.

He only works at the museum once a week and then delegates to others. He mostly handles logistics of other jobs and clients.

He tells me a bit about his time in the Army and the tours he did. How he created the security company to help ex vets have a place in a world that felt so different to what they know.

He's one of the best people I have ever met.

While he's talking, he peeks at my hands that are currently curled under the ends of my sweater, shaking slightly. He then pulls out a pair of thick wool gloves from his jacket pocket and passes them to me.

I look at him perplexed, but he answers, "It's ridiculously cold this evening and I know you already run cold so I didn't want you to freeze."

He was unbelievably sweet.

I take them, feeling giddy that he actually thought about me, and that he worried about me. But then again, Cassius Ardent is a thoughtful man.

We laugh and joke quietly, till it gets every late and we admit that it's time for us to go.

As I stand to get up, I falter slightly. My eyesight going black and my head feeling light. But I quickly catch myself and turn to see Cassius already by my side, checking to see if I'm alright.

I laugh it off and ignore Marie's worried stare. The cakes on the counter look good, but I need to hold out for tomorrow. Thankfully, Cassius buys it and we head to the door.

While walking out of the door, I'm unsure how to leave him. A simple goodbye or... I don't know a hug.

I think the main problem was I just didn't want him to leave him at all.

He looks back at me and then shakes his head. "If you can call me Cassie, I can at least hug you right."

I nod a quick signal of yes and he gathers me in his arms. His big warm comforting arms, I can't help but actually breathe his scent in.

When the woody scent hits me, I can't help back to further melt into his arms.

It feels safe here.

I pull back reluctantly and we say goodbye, not before he practically forces me to wear his coat after I tell him he can't walk me home.

But then again on the way home to my little flat, I breathe in his scent from the coat and smile to myself, maybe it's okay to dream.

Maybe I can finally get it right with someone... With him.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃