40. Celebrations

Quietly I set up the decorations around the house, waking up at five in the morning to surprise Cass. It was his birthday after all.

I'm careful, of course, not to place anything too high. I hear my phone buzzing, signalling to me his cupcakes were ready. Liz's mum told me she would be happy to make the cake for the party here. I'm not a strong baker, and most importantly, Cassius labelled Jen's cake as legendary. I'm not even going to attempt to go up against that.

I change out of my night clothes, wearing Cass' hoodie and jeans. I look to see Cass still fast asleep. The beautiful man snoring softly and holding the pillow I placed in his arms tightly. I laugh knowing that if he thought I wasn't in his arms he would have worked up straight away.

I go downstairs, making Cass' favourite sweet breakfast, as well as decorating the cupcakes. Let's hope the cupcakes taste better than they look. I watch as the overly watery icing leaks down the cupcakes, my attempt of making a swirl failing.

I go to wake Cassius up, laughing as his eyes attempt to adjust to the morning sun. "Happy Birthday Cassius", I whisper in his ear, causing him to smile. Before I could say anything else, his arms wrapped around me and he gently brought me back to lay down in bed with him. The warmth of his skin tempts me to lay with him, but I remember my plan.

Sitting up I scold him, "Cass, I made you breakfast. Please come downstairs." He looks at my clothes and frowns, "How long have you been awake?" I smile knowing he would be angry, so I shrug and quickly leave, reminding him to meet me downstairs.

After about 10 minutes, Cass walks in the room rubbing his eyes, stilling when he sees the decorations and food. He smiles at me, walking over to give me a hug. He stifles a laugh as he picks up a cupcake. "You know, you are a woman of many talents, but baking might not be one of your strongest suits." I nudge him, telling him it's a work of art, just non traditional. He agrees, commenting on it being reminiscent of Picasso, while biting into the cake.

I sat on his lap ready to tell him the good news, "So, I called my doctor and she said she could do our second scan today. Would you like to see-" Cassius cuts me off with a strong yes, making me laugh. As we get ready to go to the doctors, I can't help but admire the smile that still hasn't left his face since I told him. I, on the other hand, don't feel as excited. What if something is wrong?

I can't stop these thoughts all the way to the clinic. As I lay down pulling my hoodie up, every bad scenario plays through my head, but Cass places a kiss on my forehead, making my smile in bliss.

This is going to be a happy memory.

As my doctor asks me the routine questions, including whether I was resting, causing Cassius to scowl at me as I lied. I smile at his actions as he fidgets with his watch waiting to meet our baby together. We see the monitor and compared to my last scan, they've grown so much bigger. A quite large head, making me laugh quietly. Cass looks in awe, pointing to the baby slightly moving their arms.

Cass' wide eyes and open mouth is how I would feel, if I wasn't busy concentrating on my doctor's expressions as she looks at the monitor focusing. After a minute, she lets out a smile, "Everything is fine, Alettra." As soon as she says that it feels like I can finally breathe again. Cassius keeps his eyes on the printed sonogram as I get ready to leave. The baby has already got him wrapped around their finger.

I get a text from Ronnie telling me everything was set up for Cass' surprise party. I try to hide my giddiness as we drive home, but Cass just smirks at me. As we enter the house everyone pops out yelling surprise. I turn to look at Cass who grins at me looking unfazed.

The idiot knew he didn't.

"Ron, you remember I have my security cameras connected to my phone right?" I throw my palm into my face, annoyed. Damn it.

Another large, slightly older, man whacks Ron's shoulder with a heavy hand, berating him. "The man is an Army Sergeant, how could you forget he has cameras everywhere." Cass goes up and shakes his hand, introducing him to me. He was Cassius' former Sergeant, and taught him everything he knew.

Most of the people here are veterans, and it's clear to see how happy Cass is seeing them. Also, how much he is enjoying showing everyone the picture of the sonogram, with a bright smile on his face.

I look around and see Liz sitting with little Nic in her arms, even though he's grown so much already. "Hi Liz, Hi Nicholas. How are you, gorgeous boy?" He giggles, slightly spitting up, making both Liz and I laugh. We talk and Liz gives me a run down on motherhood so far. She seems positively glowing.

Jen walks out of the kitchen holding a lit cake, making every vet look in awe. I laugh at their actions, but feel uneasy. I have still been struggling eating sugary things, still viewing them as bad food. When it wasn't true.

Food gives you energy, and energy is good.

Everyone sings 'Happy Birthday' to Cass as he scowls at us all. It was hilarious this grown man being uncomfortable with all this attention.

As the cake gets passed around I glare at the sugary dessert, angry. Why is this so hard? No one else is second guessing their consumption of the cake, they just enjoy it. I feel Cass' presence from beside me as he sits down grabbing my hand and starts eating his cake.

I can do this.

Last time I played with Jen's cake, pretending to be eating it, but this time I can't. I have one spoonful, and feel it go down my throat, travelling- spreading to my body. Adding to my fat...

I quickly swallow another spoonful.

What if my daughter or son ever thought like this? What if they harmed themselves the same way I do? I have to get better. Before I knew it, I had actually finished it. I smile. I actually did it. Cass gives me a peck, silently telling me he's proud.

The party goes well, and people start leaving after everyone has given their gifts. Liz and Jen help me clean up and I bid them farewell, tiredness finally taking over me. I go upstairs to find Cassius in bed, already waiting for me. "Thank you for doing all this Alettra." I smile, getting a red wrapped slim box out of the drawer. His eyebrows raise questioningly. "I thought you already gave me my present, all this." I shake my head, losing confidence on whether I chose the right thing.

I hand it to him timidly, and he opens it and when he sees it tears fill his eyes. Was this not a good present? It might be too much? Cassius holds it carefully in his hands, looking at me in shock. "How did you find this?" I shrug, "It took a while actually, but I found somebody willing to part with it." The Gold Pikachu card was a pain to find in reality, but Cass doesn't need to know that. He swipes the tears from his face, still speechless.

Insecure, I tell him if he likes it, could he at least give me a hug. Without missing a beat, he gathers me in his arms, burying his face in my neck. "It's perfect, Alettra. Thank you."

Cassius and Cyrus' collection was now complete.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃