39. Meeting Marie

My mother keeps cancelling our meeting, with the same excuse. She's too busy apparently. I need to tell her about the baby. I'm tempted just to text her and get it over with. It's not like I'm expecting her to be an involved active grandmother.

Cass, on the other hand, is treating me as if I'm made of glass. He puts me on bed rest, which I ignore obviously and do some work on my laptop. "Alettra, come on. Put the damn laptop down and rest." I smile, enjoying ignoring him. "If you want me to put the laptop down, I'm gonna need an incentive Mr Ardent." He looks at me waiting, while scowling at me.

As soon as I reach behind me and bring out his mother's favourite book, 'The Nutcracker', Cass' face relaxes into a soft smile, while shaking his head.

He comes to join me on the sofa and he reads to our baby and me for a good few hours.

The look of shock on his face when I told him I played Princess Clara when I was 9, when my mother used to force me to go to ballet. Secretly, I enjoyed it though. It was suited to me, it taught me grace, sensibility and discipline.

"What I don't seem like the type to do ballet?" This time I scowl at him, but he just smiles. "My mum was a ballerina, she later on taught others. When she was younger she toured all over the world performing. That's how she met my father." I smile, noticing how more relaxed Cass seems when talking about his parents and even his brother, Cyrus at times.

"I like Clara." I blurt out, to which Cass agrees. "She's a good character, curiosity is a special trait." I smile gazing up at him and shake my head. "Well I do agree, but I meant if we have a girl, Clara is a good name, no?" Cassius smiles in bliss and nods while rubbing my stomach.

I had already checked on my phone that Clara meant bright in Latin, like my name. She is gonna be my daughter, after all.

Having a daughter somewhat worries me, I know ED's can affect any gender, but it would be wrong to say the female population didn't have certain expectations that ruins their individuality and security. Like it did mine.

A son would also be really nice. I can imagine a mini Cassius. Aurelius is also a lovely name, with lots of historical ties especially in Roman history. My thoughts are cut off with Cass' phone ringing. He picks it up while still holding me, he sighs while hanging up. "I have to go to the office for a bit."

I nod and tell him I'm going to go to Rosa's Cafe. Cassius tries to convince me to stay home, but my pointed look cuts him off. His protectiveness is adorable, to an extent.

He drops me off at the Cafe, and he begs me to let him come and pick me up as well. I agree, understanding his worry. I look down at my choice of outfit, my shirt slightly highlighting my bump slightly, and I don't mind it.

I walk into the Cafe reminiscing how I always used this place as my comfort space. I missed coming here, not one place in Greece was remotely like Rosa's Cafe.

"Oh my Darling, how I've missed seeing your face here." Marie walks around the counter, but stops when she sees my bump. "Oh my goodness." I laugh at her perplexed expression, causing her to smile wider. She hugs me while congratulating me, but there are tears threatening to leak out of her eyes. I look at her confused, but she shakes her head telling me she's fine. "Well than Marie, do you mind joining me for some decaf coffee and a sandwich, please." Her eyebrows raise up comically, this was the first time I had asked her for food. Marie was practically racing to get me what I asked, making me laugh.

"Wow, it's normally me asking you for a chat, Darling." I laugh replying, "Don't take it personally, I just forgot my book. So, conversation is welcomed." I lied obviously, I always had a book in my bag. I just wish I wasn't always cold to her, every time I entered this Cafe. Marie always gave me a smile, nonetheless. I wish I was more like her. More motherly.

Marie joins me at my usual table, allowing her new trainee to man the shop.

As we sit she asks me questions about my pregnancy, and I admit I'm struggling. Mostly worrying that I won't be enough for my child. Marie looks at me with a watery smile. "Rosa's Cafe was named after my daughter, Rosalie." I looked at her confused, I didn't know she had any kids.

"To tell you the truth Darling, I didn't feel a connection right away, and I felt so guilty for that, but I can't even tell you how my love for her still grows, despite her not being here," I see her looking down playing with a bracelet with a big letter 'R' dangling from it.

"I was a single parent, pregnant at 16, and was definitely not ready to be a mother. The father wanted nothing to do with us, so I moved here. My Rosalie was a stunner, and so hyper even as a baby. She die- she died when she was 3 years old. Meningitis."

I stared at Marie, tears running down my face, the normally smiling Marie was sobbing. She lost her child. That's truly any parent's worst nightmare.

"Alettra, being a mother means many things. You might not be ready but that doesn't matter, because it's as if your heart is out into the world, running around. You protect them, because they are your vulnerability and that's okay." I cry even harder and go to hug Marie. She was such a strong woman.

"You'll be a brilliant mum, Alettra. I know it." I smile and thank her.

Suddenly I see Cassius walking into the Cafe, looking at me in concern. God, I must look like a mess right now. I smile at him and hug him, not bothering to explain the tears. After Marie congulates Cass, we leave hand in hand out of the Cafe. When we get into the car, Cassius turns to me, asking if I was okay, with worry riddling his features.

"Thank you for sticking with the baby and I, Cass." He nods at me, still confused. "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a father baby." I smile, tears still falling slightly, I'm not alone. We're not alone.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃