16. Liz's Birthday

Cassius POV

After Alettra patched me up, I couldn't help but smile in amusement over our first kiss. She was an extremely stubborn and brave woman.

But also a blunt one... "Cass, since, you know, I can walk now I was thinking I should go back to my apartment."

I don't want to come of as needy but waking up knowing she's next to me and will be there with me at the end of the day instantly brightens my day.

The house felt more like a home, something I haven't felt since my parents died... Something I didn't think I would ever feel after Cyrus.

So I try to casually ask her to just stay another day... Hopefully seeing the library will tempt her to stay longer, right?.

We return home together and she tells me all about her day. How her and Liz spent some time together baking, but her happy smile falls when she starts to recount her meeting with her mother.

Alettra's mother sounds... interesting to say the least. I haven't ever met her so I can't fully comment on her, but the stressed expression on Alettra's face made me wary of her. She was like a blow to her self esteem.

I wake up the next day at 8 and see Alettra in front of the mirror dressed in an amazing red dress, putting on her gold earrings. I groan out of frustation, why couldn't we just stay home together for her last day here...

God, I really don't want to share her with anyone, even Liz.

But then I see her turn around with with her red lips framing her bright smile. To not share her would be a crime... She's funny, real and kindier than she gives herself credit.

She spins around after saying good morning to me and I just stare at her in awe, her mouth is moving but I'm too shocked to hear her. Her hair is curly and she is postively shining, like she did that day at the gala before I ignored her...

She waves her hand in front of my face looking worried.

"Cassius, are you okay?", she asks gently her voice igniting a warm feeling all throughout me.

I nod my head swallowing harshly... Come on Cassius focus.

Unsure I speak up,"Yea. Yea um what were you saying."

"I was asking how do I look? Is it too much? It might be too much."

The uncertainity of her voices breaks my heart. "You look absolutely, undeniably beautiful" I say honestly, to which she smiles sweetly and presses a lingering kiss on my forehead.

I get out of bed and get ready, wearing a red sweater and black jeans. Did I spend 30 minutes trying to dig out the only red article of clothing I have just to match Alettra...

Yes, yes I did.

I come down to see Alettra making a plate of my favourite pancakes as I have a massive sweet tooth. She sits next to me and and stares at me while I'm eating after she tells me she already ate.

Do I have something on my face that she keeps staring at me, she has an odd look in her eyes... A content look.

When I'm done and put my utenils down, she jumps in my lap and hugs me tight. She might be the cutest thing I 've ever seen.

She whispers in my neck making me shiver, "Are you okay Cass, is your wound healing okay?"

Okay, she is the cutest thing ever.

But it pains me knowing I have to keep the secret of how I got the injury after I slipped out of the bed to meet them, and how deep I was getting involved with these people.