15. Family Matters

I search for Cassius downstairs after waking up alone. Things were so perfect the morning before. I would say my mother ruined it but I knew...

It was my own fault.

I see a post it on the counter telling me he went into work and was coming back at 5. He even made me breakfast.

God. He was making it hard to pull away.

I called Liz and asked for her company, this house was massive and the silence was deafening, and I know Cassius wouldn't mind.

She bursts through the door hands carrying filled shopping bags. What in the world was she planning?

"So since you have summoned me, we are going to bake some cakes."

I look at her like she has grown 3 heads. I've never baked in my life.

She tells me she'll help me but she spends most of the time just laughing at me. I'm currently covered in flour, clearly underestimating the speed of that damn whisk.

We spend an hour making and decorating the cupcakes, the latter I actually enjoyed. I also learn that Liz and Andreas, are doing well, despite yesterday problem.

Liz also invites me to her birthday party, tomorrow with all the other Ardent's. That's not daunting at all.

Maybe I should go see Cass, I was originally just gonna leave with a note but I know that's childish.

While Liz gets ready to leave, my mother texts me that she wanted to met me soon.

Time to face her, I guess.

I arrive at Rosa's Cafe early, and Marie runs behind the counter and hugs me tight.

God my ribs are still killing...

But I can't help but smile at how sweet she is. She tells me how Cassius came in and briefly told her what happened. It was nice to know how many people were looking out for me.

As I go and sit down Marie places a hot chocolate and chocolate cupcake at my table.

It looks good too. Decadent and inviting.

I place the hot chocolate in my hands, warming them up, and I hesistantly break a piece of a cupcake and eat it, trying to enjoy the richness, and not think about the calories.

I push back to negative thoughts, I can't heal unless I get energy from something.

While I'm busy fighting my mind, my mother walks in. She was always an elegant woman, full of grace. Traits my mother wished I had more of.

She frowns at me and sits down. God, you would think just my presence was her problem.

My face was still discoloured slightly but the swelling had gone down completely, and the stitches on my eyebrow were only slightly noticable.

She looks at me up and down, and states fiercely, "You could have dressed better, I know it's just a Cafe but you could of made more of an effort."

"Well, right now I need to be comfortable than anything else, my ribs kinda got injured."

"You seem comfortable with that cupcake", she mutters quickly. I frown bitterly, I only took one goddamn bite for Heavens sake.

"Well what happened then, Alettra?", she asks impatiently.

I tell her the whole story and she just shakes her head at all of it... At me.

"How could you not notice you were drugged Alettra?" God why am I even trying to get her to understand.