5

I stroked Emilia's head as she lay asleep in the comfort of her room. It had been 2 hours after the accident.

She had opened her eyes and spoke for a little while before going back to sleep.

Watching her sleep made me think about Yvonne and how I also stroked her hair when she was on her sickbed.

That's right, she mentioned a contract. What was that all about?

I stared at my fingers; could my eternal youth be also part of said contract?

"What's wrong?" Emilia asked.

"It's nothing," I replied, "How are you feeling?"

"Much better," she said and bit her lip, "How did I escape unscathed?"

"God has his ways of doing things," I replied.

"Is that so?" she looked unconvinced but didn't say anything further.

Her eyes scanned the room before resting on mine, "I'm hungry."

"I'll make something," I said then left for the kitchen.

As I prepared the pancakes, I recalled the look Emilia had on her face when she woke up. The first thing she did was to touch her head where she was bleeding from earlier; the shock on her face weakened me.

"We need to talk," I said.

"I see you've finally become aware of my presence," Yvonne said.

"I have Goosebumps when you're around," I retorted as I poured the mix into the frying pan. The kitchen was filled with sizzling sounds.

"That's mean," she said, "What did you want to talk about?"

I was quiet for a moment, besides the fact I was framing the question in my mind, I also didn't want the pancakes getting burnt; Emilia wouldn't like that.

"What did you mean by contract?" I asked as I poured the next mix into the pan.

"Who knows?" she shrugged, "Consider it a need-to-know basis."

"Then let me ask another question," I said as I watched the once liquid mix, solidify in the heated oil, I really needed to watch my diet, "Do you know why I'm still alive?"

She licked her fingers, which I just noticed she had dipped into my pancake mix; even after death, she had that bad habit.

"I do," she said and looked away, "But I wouldn't be telling you."

"Tell me," I said as I took out the pancakes and poured the last batch of mix, "Why has God decided to mock me after your death?"

She sighed, "I see you still have that habit of blaming God." she bit her lower lip as if pondering her next move, "Fine I'll tell you."

"Thank you," I replied, "Now about-"

"Kwame, who are you talking to?"

Emilia's voice startled me. Yvonne didn't vanish but wore a smile as Emilia walked towards me.

"You're supposed to be in bed." I said, "Breakfast's ready."

"I'll eat here," she said and took a seat.

 "Later," Yvonne said before vanishing.

We ate our meal in silence, save for when Emilia would compliment the meal.

"Kwame," she called.

I raised a brow.

She touched her head, probably looking for a scar, "Never mind."

I could sympathize with her. Not knowing 'why' a thing happened could be quite discomforting even if it was a miracle.

"I'm going to lie down," she said, "Would you join me for some time?"

"I'll be there," I replied.

She nodded and left for the room. For the first time since I started cooking for her, she didn't finish her meal.

"I'm back," Yvonne said as she sat on Emilia's seat.

"Please explain everything," I pleaded.

"Fine I get it," she said then placed her hand on her chin, "Do you know the angel called Samael?"

"No, I don't," I replied.

"This is going to sound complicated and even I don't understand it myself, but I'll try my best to explain it in a way you'd understand," she said.

I nodded.

"The day before I died, I met with said angel in a trance. He didn't have wings and his facial expression wasn't as kind as an angel would be. He felt my pulse and said I'll make it but 10 years into my marriage with you, I'd die," she paused and rubbed her eyes,

 "I didn't see a meaning in such a life as that and I thought about the grief you and our kids would go through if I died so early. So I pleaded with the angel to make me stay longer to which he flat out rejected and told me to live the next 10 years with purpose. I couldn't agree and I proposed a deal; he'd take my 10 years and kept you alive and healthy until you found a suitable replacement for me."

I instantly remembered the words she told me the day she died; so 'that's' what she meant.

"But still, I didn't expect you to avoid love after a 100 years," she crossed her arms, "You could have gone after my cousin. She did have some feelings for you."

Sharon was a carbon copy of Yvonne, looks and all but I hated her guts.

"That wouldn't have worked out though," she added, "I know you hated her cowardice."

I sighed and looked away, if she knew then she shouldn't have said so.

"Why were you still attached to me?" she asked the question I never wanted her to ask.

"Anyway, I'm glad your relationship with Emilia is going great," she said.

"Why did you heal Emilia? How did you heal her and how are you back?" I asked.

"I'm back because, I asked Samael to let me watch over you on the account that I assist you in any way I can; so the healing only happens if it's to help you," she replied.

"I don't quite understand," I honestly replied.

"I knew you wouldn't, but don't not bother you," she said.

"Who is this Samael anyway?" I asked.

 "He's the one who killed the firstborn in Egypt," she said, "I think he's called the Grim Reaper nowadays."

Now it made sense; Yvonne made a deal with the Angel of Death.

Wait, but if I happened to find someone I loved, wouldn't that mean...

God is pretty amusing.

For those who are eternalजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें