"Listen, Emilia, God has the hearts of everyone in his hands," my mother once said, "It's his role to play matchmaker and our choice to accept his decision."

"Take my words, Emilia, they say there are two sides to a coin and such is applicable to love and marriage," my father once said, "However, there could be only one side of the coin which would be pleasing to the eye while the other would be scratched and unappealing; It is the job of the better side to cater for its other half. But that would be a one-sided love; for while the perfect truly loves the imperfect, the imperfect would think the perfect is forcing itself out of pity or guilt."

"Emilia, when it comes to the matter of love, all you need is for your partner to look at you with eyes meant for you alone," my elder sister once said, "And if those eyes aren't focused on you, find any means to make them watch you."

I was born to a family with different views and concepts of love.

I wouldn't say my parents were madly in love with each other, but I wouldn't say they hated each other either.

My sister, now married, would say that our parents' relationship was one-sided with my father on the giving side and my mother on the receiving.

I had heard that married couples had little disputes here and there, but I never witnessed such with my parents. Honestly speaking, I still don't know if that was a good thing or not.

"One-sided love can work but it wouldn't be perfect," my father would tell me and my sister, "But the joy alone from having the one you care about by your side is eternal."

"I don't agree with father," my sister would say when we alone, "That sort of love is selfish and would only benefit one person. True love only works for those who have eyes for you and you alone."

I never knew how relationships worked. Before meeting Kwame, I had been in two relationships.

The first was a distant relative from my mother's end. He'd tell me stories, teach me things I didn't know and always asked me to rely on him. I felt safe with him.

"You've not noticed the way he looks at you?" my sister asked, "he doesn't see a romantic future with you."

It was true that he was a kind and loving gentleman whom I confided in, but our relationship was nothing more than a sham. I overheard him telling his friends how he had me wrapped around his finger and how he couldn't wait to get married into my family for my father's wealth.

I don't know why my heart felt the way it did, but I guess that's what my friend's meant by heartbreak.

The second relationship was not so entertaining as the first.

Although I had promised to keep my virginity until marriage, I lost it.

It was just the way Eze held me, whispered my name, possessed me that made me melt like shea butter in his blazing heat.

The fact that he complained about my assets being too small didn't bother me that much, as long as he had eyes for me. Or so I thought.

I came over to visit and found another woman with him in his bed. I wasn't angry, I didn't scream, didn't drag her hair or try to destroy his balls; I just watched him cover himself in shame and listened as he repeated words or sentences like; "I'm sorry", "It was the devil", "I don't know what came over me" but the strange woman didn't say anything.

I always wondered why he apologized; it wasn't his fault my assets weren't big enough.

It wasn't his fault she was more beautiful.

It wasn't his fault for anything.

It wasn't my fault either.

It wasn't anyone's fault either.

And then there was Kwame.

Meeting Kwame wasn't love at first sight though; Then again none of the aforementioned relationships was love at first sight.

I honestly didn't know what led me to that bridge, but I was led. Call it fate I guess.

I noticed him walking back and forth the bridge like he was deep in thought or trying to make up his mind.

This bridge was a popular one in this village. It was popular for something bad though; suicide.

But, there was no way such a young, handsome, lean young man would want to end his life. He hasn't even lived life to the fullest yet.

He stopped pacing and looked at the water; his mind was made up.

I started running towards him and prayed to God almighty to make him wait for just a few seconds.

He mouthed something before jumping. I caught his hand and stopped his descent but it cost me my hips.

I pulled him up and laid on the ground writhing in pain. I felt my body leave the ground only to realize, that I was in his arms. For some reason, he felt... ¬safe.

I don't know what assured me but I was sure he wasn't going to be like my previous relationships.

Maybe God had decided to make me happy.