10

In life we have choices;

The choice to be happy or to be sad.

The choice to save ourselves or save others.

If memory serves me correctly, there is a certain scripture which says; I have set before thee two options; one of life and the other death. I pray thee that thou choosest life.

This scripture was recited to me by the angel who appeared beside my sickbed.

"10 years," he said, "That's all you have left."

I had heard angels were beautiful majestic creatures with wings of white, dark green, or even gold.

My angel had wings as dark as night and there was no warmth in his eyes.

"So what would you rather do?" he asked, "Come with me now or go back and stay for another 10 years?"

I didn't understand his deal.

Angels were supposed to be somewhat all-knowing. He would've known...

"What would happen to Kwame if I died 10 years later?" I asked.

He didn't reply.

"I'll go with you," I said, "But could you let Kwame stay longer? At least until he's found someone suitable to replace me?"

"I have no reason to grant your request as I've already seen what would happen if did," he said.

I breathed out softly; it was a stupid request.

"But..." He said, "This may be somewhat entertaining."

My request was granted.

At first, I was relieved to know that Kwame would remain strong and healthy until he had found someone good enough to replace me, but after 50 years passed, he still hadn't moved on; plus, he had stopped ageing.

"Why isn't he ageing?" I asked Samael.

"It's more entertaining this way." He replied.

And then, Kwame turned 92. Over the years I stayed drifting, watching over him. Because, of my contract with Samael, I couldn't go to heaven, hell or purgatory. According to the angel of death, I was a phantom and my role was to watch over Kwame.

During my watch, I saw the stigma he faced, no thanks to Jonah. I had to wake Kwame up during the night of the fire to ensure his safety; He wasn't too happy about that.

When he couldn't bear the hate anymore, he moved to Nigeria for a fresh start; or so I thought. Barely a month after arriving, he had been contemplating suicide but could never work up the courage to do so, until that day.

I knew his mind was made up when he approached that bridge. I knew it would all be over once he got off the bridge.

"Use her," Samael pointed at a young lady who seemed to be lost in thought but hadn't noticed Kwame. Samael had made it a habit of accompanying me when he wasn't on harvesting duties.

I tapped on the lady's shoulder and she looked around wondering who had touched her when she noticed Kwame.

She just stood there watching him pace back and forth until his mind was made up.

Her bag dropped to the floor as she ran towards him, and I think I could hear her whispering a prayer that she would make it in time.

She caught his arm in time although it cost her hips, "It's not your time yet!!" she yelled as she pulled him upwards.

Kwame took her to the hospital where they were told that she wouldn't be able to walk normally for a matter of months. I could only imagine the guilt Kwame had felt.

 He apologised again and again for causing her so much trouble.

"It's alright, I was just at the right place and at the right time," she said softly, "I'm Emilia Eze, what's your name?"

"I'm Kwame Daniel," he replied, "I'm truly sorry you had to save me. Because of my foolishness, it cost you your mobility."

"Kwame, it's fine. The doctor said it'll be alright soon," Emilia said, "If you feel sorry about it, how about you stay with me?"

"Pardon?" Kwame asked. I was also wondering the same thing.

"I can't leave you on your own like this," she explained, "Please stay with me?"

'What's her problem?' I thought to myself.

"She has a point though," Samael said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He's probably going to attempt taking his life again if left alone," Samael replied while rubbing his eyelids. He hasn't slept for thousands of years from what I've heard.

"I honestly don't want to cause you more troubles," Kwame said.

Emilia chuckled softly, "How about staying to look after me for all the troubles you've caused?"

"Well..." Kwame was about to say something when she interrupted.

"Please I insist," she said, "I can't have a handsome man such as yourself waltzing around any bridges anytime soon."

"Fine," he admitted defeat.

After Emilia was released from the hospital, Kwame started staying with her.

 "Looks like he has found a replacement for you," Samael said as we watched Kwame prepare dinner for an excited Emilia, "You must be glad."

"I am," I replied as I watched Emilia squeal in delight as she tasted the meal.

"Sure he feels guilty around her because of her injuries and you," Samael said, "But, give it time and he'll overlook all those things, putting them behind him like it never existed."

"Yeah, I guess..." I paused as I digested what he had just said before turning to face him, "Wait, what did you just say?!"

He looked at me and smirked, "He feels guilty because of her injuries and because of you."

"Wait does that mean..."

"Yes dear," Samael couldn't seem to remove that smirk from his face, "He's still in love with you, even after a hundred years."

'But I'm dead, I thought to myself as I watched him feed Emilia.

'Wait... what was this panging in my chest?' I asked as I clutched at my chest, 'Why am I feeling so... happy?'

God, I'm such an idiot.