11

2 months had passed since the suicide attempt. I watched as Emilia's feelings for Kwame blossomed daily. I guess you do get attached to what you see every day.

As Emilia grew fond of Kwame with each passing day, it seemed like Kwame wasn't noticing her or maybe he did and decided not to reciprocate.

Maybe it was because of the guilt he had for causing her injuries or...

"He's still in love with you, even after a hundred years." Samael's words rang in my ears.

Ever since he made that statement, I've been feeling weird.

I hated myself for feeling happy after hearing those words. It wasn't like Kwame could see me. If only Emilia could walk, he'd date her with no worries and eventually get married.

That was it! I could ask Samael to heal her.

"That sounds boring," Samael replied.

"But things between them would go a lot faster, and I could stop being a phantom while Kwame would age normally, and Emilia would have the love of her life by her side," I pointed out, "Everyone wins."

Samael looked at me as if pitying me, "You're not a good liar."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. There was no way he saw through me right?

"It's nothing," he sighed, "I'll heal her on one condition; You become visible to Kwame and you do the healing."

"Pardon?"

"I'm going to make Kwame able to see you and I'll grant you some abilities I deem entertaining," he said, "Are you going to accept or not?"

"I don't quite get it but I'll accept your offer," I said. 

"I told you not to think about it," Emilia said sternly attracting our attention, "I just happened to be at the right place and at the right time."

Kwame sighed and looked away.

She wheeled over to him and grabbed his face and kissed him.

I felt my heart shatter.

"I'm not a paedophile," She chuckled softly, "I'm seriously in love with you Kwame. And although I'm older than you, I'll be willing to submit."

She tried to kiss him again but he looked away.

"Kwame? Is everything alright?" she asked with worry in her tone.

"Well looks like your intervention might not be needed after all," Samael said, "I suggest you leave them be."

He was right but why did I want to persist with my intervention?

"Kwame? What's wrong?" Emilia grabbed Kwame's hand, "Don't leave, please."

Why did that infuriate me?

I heard her groan.

Kwame turned to her and noticed she had gotten on her feet and hugged him.

"Stay, please," was all she said.

Kwame accepted her offer with a hug. The guilt in his eyes started to fade.

"But, give it time and he'll overlook all those things, putting them behind him like it never existed." Samael's words came back to me.

Kwame was slowly forgetting me.

That was a good thing right?

It was, wasn't it?

Then why was I getting angry that he would soon forget about me?

"He's looking at you," Samael said.

I noticed that Kwame's eyes met with my figure so I disappeared instantly.

"Oh well looks like you don't need to heal her after all," Samael said, "If you'll excuse me, there's a 4-year-old child I need to kill. Sure his family will cry a lot, but that'll be the only child they'll ever have. I'm not going to lie to you, The Almighty sickens me." I noticed how his right hand's grip on his sickle tightened when he mentioned God.

He waved goodbye before vanishing to claim the life he had mentioned.

I thought about what he had said, maybe I should leave them alone. But if I did, what if Kwame started feeling guilty again because of her injuries?

Yes, I have to heal her; for her sake and that of Kwame's!

Yes, this isn't for me at all; it's for their happiness.

That day around midnight, I Kwame came into the kitchen for a drink when he saw the glass in his hand shattered on the floor.

"You finally looked at me again," I said with a smile.

He closed his eyes tightly as if he had seen a ghost; I mean, he did see a ghost but still.

He finally opened his eyes and scanned his surrounding before settling on me.

"Kwame?" I called, "Is everything alright?"

"Kwame? I heard noise is everything alright?" Emilia came into the room with her crutches supporting her.

Kwame returned his gaze to me.

"Kwame, are you okay?" asked Emilia as she moved towards him. He nodded in reply to her question but kept his gaze on me even as she placed her hand on his cheek, "Speak to me."

'Don't touch him!' I heard my heart scream. Why was I acting this way?

I walked out of the mirror and towards them.

Kwame was about to speak but couldn't as I covered his mouth.

"Kwame?! What's wrong?!" Emilia was scared now.

I touched Emilia's hip and she let out a scream and fell to the floor. I also felt a sting... strange.

Kwame rushed to Emilia and placed her in his arms.

I vanished from his sight but still watched as he kissed her forehead whilst scanning his surroundings probably looking for me.

The following day, Emilia was able to walk again. Six days after, she testified to God but Kwame looked unsettled.

After service, I watched him lost in thought as he held the necklace he gave to me for my 16th birthday.

"What's on your mind?" I asked.

He looked away.

What was his problem?

I held his chin and made him face me, "I healed your girlfriend and you still ignore me?"

He grabbed my hand and forced it off his chin.

I bit my lower lip as a tear streamed down my cheek, "Fine."

"Ah, there you are!" Emilia called as she ran towards him.

"Are you satisfied now?" Samael said, "You've made this rather dull for me. I guess whoever's writing this story is getting frustrated with you."

"Shut up," I said with clenched fists.

He kept quiet as my hands trembled.

"She's going to die on Tuesday," Samael said.

"What?" I asked.

"You better make this interesting," he said before disappearing.

What in God's name....