Final Arc - Ending One

Kwame Tell's The Story

It had come to this.

Emilia touched her forehead still searching for the scar.

"Do you believe in Miracles?" She asked her hand still searching.

"Could we sit first?" I offered as I walked over to the dining table... my legs felt heavy though.

As we sat, she let out a deep sigh.

"Kwame, do you love me?" she asked with a tone that seemed to already know my answer.

I was about to answer but she held up a finger, "Before... Before you say anything... Before you answer, I have something I want to tell you... Then you can answer me. Is that okay?"

I was silent, she didn't look at me in the eye when she made the request, "Okay."

She nodded.

"Kwame, I'm not going to lie to you and the words I'm about to say may not make sense to you but I'll... I mean I'll want you to listen anyway... That is... what I'm trying to say is..."

"Emilia..." I called.

She was silent and her shoulders started to shake, I could hear the hiccups and sniffles as she started to wipe her face, "I honestly... I just... I want you to be the last person... the last person I'll ever fall in love with. I had already given up after the second time but when I saved you from that bridge, I don't know what led me to you, I still can't explain it but I can only say it was fate... no even better it was a miracle."

She had stopped crying now, but she still wouldn't look at me.

"You know, I was wondering why someone as young as you were would even think of suicide," she continued, "I always wanted to ask you but never could. I suspected that maybe you were like me and had had your heartbroken. When I saw you pacing on that bridge, I thought it was unfair that you'd just escape like that while I was still with my heart in tatters."

She paused to blow her nose, "Excuse me."

It was a little funny to see how she still maintained her maturity.

Her eyes made contact with mine, "What?"

"I just thought how funny you look when blowing your nose," I said.

She smiled, "This is why I didn't want to look at you. Silly you."

We let out a chuckle, not forced, not awkward, just warm.

"This is why I fell in love with you," she said, "At first I just wanted to protect that boy who was about to make the worst choice possible, but with each passing day, I slowly fell in love with that boy. I won't lie, my actions would have come off as being too pushy or too desperate but I was desperate you know. I mean I was in a wheelchair for crying out loud and all I did was make you feel guilty. But little by little, it took 2 months but we had finally gotten close to each other."

"When I got healed and could walk properly, I thought it was God's way of trying to eliminate every feeling of guilt you would have had for me and thus bringing us closer. At least that was the idea I had, which eventually led us to have uhmm... sex." She looked away.

Oh, now she's shy.

"Ahem," she continued, "But it seemed I was wrong, you started being more cautious and well distracted and I'll be frank I thought you were already seeing another woman."

She was silent as her eyes scanned mine, I didn't blink. I only looked at my hands.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong," she sighed, "Kwame I truly and deeply love you and I want you to be honest with me... do you love me too?"

The time had come.

"I'm 118 years old," I said.

She gave me a puzzled look, "What?"

"I'm joking of course," I replied, maybe it wasn't time to tell her yet.

"Come on, I'm being serious here," she laughed, "But..." her hand touched her forehead again, "I don't think it will be hard to believe."

"Fine... I'll tell you everything," I said.

I narrated everything; my upbringing, my engagement to Yvonne, the curse of immortality, right to the present.

"And that's it," I sighed, "Emilia I wouldn't lie to you it's just as you said, I wanted to start over with you, but as Yvonne came back I was shaken and didn't know how to process anything again."

"How about now?" she asked.

"Wait, you believe me?"

"Kwame, I had a huge scar on my forehead, broke some bones, and even got scars on my arms, but look at me sitting down here with you unscathed and you expect me not to believe that you've been alive for more than a century?" she raised her brow.

"When you put it that way it even sounds more unbelievable that you believe me," I sighed, "But thank you for believing me."

"So how about now?"

"hmm?"

"What do you want Kwame?"

I thought about it... I knew what I want.

"Let's start over," I said, "We'll do it right this time, it might take time to adjust but we'll make it work."

She looked at her hands, "I'll be more aggressive."

"I know."

"You have to put up with me every day."

"Not a problem."

"You won't talk to any ghost ex-girlfriends about your problems."

"I won't."

"I was joking about the ghost ex-girlfriends part"

"I know."

"So... do you love me?"

"I don't know... but I'm willing to find out."

She smiled, "Fair enough."

I never heard from Yvonne after that, but my feelings for Emilia began to blossom each passing day.

I thought about Yvonne sometimes, did she get sent to heaven? I did manage to find love after all.