2 - You Introduce Your Self

The next morning in court Maria was more dressed up than she ever had been, with all the expensive jewelry her mother had bought her before both of them realized that Maria didn't care for jewels. She also wore her silver silk dress, not her best one she thought, but the most expensive one, which was what counted today. And in addition, it brought out the grey in her eyes, which kind people liked to call silver. All in all she was as presentable as she could be.

Like this Maria entered the female wing of the castle and only stopped once she reached the guards in front of the princesses chambers. She did a slight curtsy to signal her respect of the guards as well as her higher social standing.

"My name is Maria of Heartwood, I have come to introduce my self to her Ladyship Gwenewith, princess of Stonewall as a Maid in Waiting."

The older guard nodded, before stepping aside and opening the door.

"It is Lady Maria of Heartwood," bellowed the guard as he opened the way into the chamber for her. "Come to introduce herself as Maid in Waiting."

"Let her come in!" called a girl from the rooms. "But let her wait in the sitting room, until her princess is dressed."

There was a slight impulse to hesitate as Maria entered, but she fought it easily as she saw the bright room that lie in front of her. It looked not at all like the cold throne room she had seen the princess in the few times they had met. On the contrary, it was all warm and light, with a fire flickering in a fireplace and a soft rug covering the floor. There was a plate of sweets stood on the small table next to the couches and even a piano in the corner of the room.

Inside this room waited a familiar looking girl, looking about Marias age. She had seen her in court a few times, or strolling in the gardens. Every time she had admired her golden and slender figure, a little short she now thought, but in no way unpleasant. Her gown looked expensive, but it was not made to go out in. It was just a simple silk under dress, covered with a dark green overcoat, that made it barely classify as acceptable wear. 

Even with out knowing her name Maria knew to do curtsy almost as deep as she could, before offered a seat by the girl.

"Pleas, sit. It is so exiting to meet somebody knew. Of course it isn't decided yet, if we are going to keep you, but I don't see any reason why not. Maria of Heartwood was it, right? Tell me, where do I know that name from."

"My mother, probably.  She has been the kings mistress for some years now, I think ten."

"Oh, then are you the daughter of Eleanor of Heartwood? How exiting. And would you say you are similar to your mother?"

There was more to that question than the unnamed girl let on. Marias mother was known as an intelligent social climber, starting at the bottom and working her self to the top, despite it being said to be impossible. It was impressive, yes, but it made her a danger as well.

"Barely, I am afraid. I don't have her drive or her cleverness I am afraid. I am quiet good at understanding and enjoy learning, but I can't be asked to make use of my knowledge in the real world. While she has the ambition to reach higher positions I am satisfied with a warm room and good people to fill it with."

"In this case you will find your self happy here, we have everything you require and more. But silly me, I am supposed to find out the most important facts about you and haven't even asked you how old you are."

"I will be turning 23 next fall, if the gods allow it."

"Oh how wonderful, this means I am your senior by a few months! How exiting! Then you have been of age for quiet a while, what have you been doing all the time?"

"My mother has always made sure I was well educated, and when I couldn't be taught by a master I was told to study by my self, subjects of reading, singing, drawing and french, but also the keeping of a house, since a girl of my standing can't be sure to know if she might need it one day."

"I can't imagine you will. At least not if you are taken in by us, none of her majesties ladies can have a bad match, it would reflect bad on her."

The girls talk was interrupted by a knock on a door that mus have lead to the sleeping chambers. Another girl, made up much more orderly than the first, opened the door and gestured her to her. "Her majesty wants to hear what you have gathered. I hope you did actually ask something reasonable."

"I asked the questions the princess wanted me to ask. If you want to call them unreasonable, then you should tell her, not me, and see how she reacts." With that Maria was once again left alone in the sitting room.