14 - My Family

It wasn't unusual to be woken by a knock on the door, but it was unusual for someone to knock on the door of a prison cell. Still Maria answered with a "come in," before she could even think about what was happening.

The room was entered by a Maid, bringing her the same breakfast she would have enjoyed in the princesses chambers. She was followed by servants, bringing pillows, books, blankets, a lamp and even a table and a chair, all of it fitting for the bedroom of a queen. And finally, following all of them, entered her mother, ignoring all the fuss to take Maria in her arms.

"Mother, what is going on? Did you do this?" Despite enjoying the small comfort of her mothers embrace Maria forced herself to take a step back.

"I wish, but no. Your friend, the princess, is who you can thank for all this. I am really happy to see you have such a good friend in her, even now she doesn't leave you."

The cell started to look more like a room and the servants started to disappear, closing the door behind them and allowing them to talk more freely.

"Maria, I am sorry but we need to discuss what we are going to do. The princess and I will do anything we can to protect you, but in the long rung that isn't a lot, I am afraid. So to figure out how to get you out of this mess you need to tell me in what way you have angered the king to treat you like this."

"I... I..." Marias joy had been short lived and she was suddenly occupied with examining the breakfast that sat on the table. "I am sorry, Mother, but I can't tell you. Because if I told you, I am sure you would not call me your daughter any more, and I could not survive that, especially not now. Please don't make me."

"But my dear, you must know that there is nothing you could do to loose me. All I want is for you to be save and happy, no matter what that means. But I can't help if I don't know why you are down here. Did you steal? Did you betray the princess? Did you act inappropriate and have relations with a man? What ever it is, it can't be a sin so bad it can't be forgiven. Just tell me."

"But it is bad, mother, really bad. The thing they accuse me of is a crime against gods will and I see no way of escaping the punishment."

"That is what I am here for, to help you find a way out. You know I am capable of solving impossible problems, I did it once before and I can do it again. I will do anything that needs to be done to get you out of here, to keep you safe. Just tell me, my dear, if only me. Have I not always be your trusted companion? Have I not always been on your side, no matter what you did?"

Maria seemed ready to talk, but for a long time not a word was spoken. Finally, with a voice so quiet it was almost impossible to hear, the silence was broken.

"They accuse me of loving the princess."

"But what is the crime in that? Isn't that what you are supposed to do, to love a friend?"

"Yes, but that is not what they accuse me of. They accuse me of desiring her the way a man desires a woman."

At this, her mother laughed. Then, as Maria didn't do the same, she fell silent again.

"Then why are you so sad, Maria. There is no way somebody could believe a lie like that. You having unseemly feelings for the princess, what a crazy idea. It will be easily refuted."

"It won't, mother, for they have my diary."

"What can they do with your diary bot prove your innocence? Once they read your thoughts they will know that you are as honest and good as anybody can be with out being an angel. You will be out here before the new year begins, I am sure of that."

"But my diary proves that I am guilty!" Maria was shocked at the sound of her own voice, way to loud for the small room.

"What do you mean by that? If your words of friendship can be misinterpreted as love then that can be argued against, we just..."

"They did not misinterpret anything, mother."

"Well... I am sure they did. I know you, Maria and you are not... you are good and kind, and if you were... seduced or manipulated into acting in a sin full way, then it is only because you are to good and trusting. I will fin a way to get you out, and we will leave the country, and once the princess is out of your sight you will forget what you think you felt."

"But Mother, I-"

"Don't argue. You know I always encouraged you to speak your mind, but right now I need you to be silent and don't bring any more harm on us. You must be aware of the danger of your situation now. The king wants you dead. To keep you alive we need to be ready to make sacrifices. For me it might be my position in court, and for you it must be the feelings you have imagined. Can you do that for me?"

"I..." As Maria looked at her mother, her always loving, always fighting mother, she decided to swallow the truth. "I will try. You are right. And, before you go... I love you, okay? And I never wanted to hurt you with my actions."

"I know, Maria, and I love you too. More than anybody else."