𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟏 - 𝟐

Trying to get to my dorm room in peace was a sordid affair. 

The second the feast ended, I stood up with everyone else, and walked over to the Slytherin table. I found Draco immediately, and reached for his arm. He turned around, disappointment still glinting in his eyes.

"What will we tell father?" I whispered, so only he could hear over the tumult stampede of students. 

"I don't know," he whispered back, evidently scared for me. Who knows what father would do when he learned I didn't get into Slytherin? He could send a Howler, send me home, send our house elf Dobby to Apparate me back. Or he could be completely fine with it.

Fat chance.

We held onto each other for as long as we could, before we had to go our separate ways. The Slytherin's down to the dungeons, the Gryffindors up to Gryffindor Tower. I slowly removed my fingernails from Draco's arm, leaving red crescent moon shapes etched into his white skin.

"Tomorrow?" I asked, voice wavering.

"Tomorrow."

I followed the hoard of Gryffindors up several more flights of stairs, until we eventually made it to a portrait of an extremely aged and ginormous woman in a frilly pink dress.

"Password?" She asked shrilly.

"Caput Draconis," a young boy's authoritative voice replied, and she swung open to reveal a room dripping with red. There were red velvet couches, red leather chairs, and red detailing on the walls. My head began to hurt.

"Gather round here," the same boy said. "Welcome to the Gryffindor common room. Boys' dormitories upstairs are there to your left, and girls are to your right. You'll find all your belongings have already been brought up."

The first years shuffled into two groups, the girls going one way and the boys going another. I trudged up the stairs behind a girl with the bushiest hair I had ever seen. Honestly, did her mother ever teach her to fix it up?

I stopped in front of a door with a gold plate that read 'First Years,' and walked inside. I was met with the bushy haired girl, and two others. One had a pinched face and brown hair, and the other had smooth features and long, shiny black hair.

"Oh, Parvati look. We have the Malfoy girl," the pinched-face one whispered to the black-haired one, apparently named Parvati.

The bushy-haired girl walked up to me bravely and held out a hand. "I'm Hermione Granger. Your name is Alexandra, is it not?"

"It is," I assured her, and carefully took her hand. She shook it eagerly, and then brought me over to one of the four beds. 

"This one's yours," she said to me. "Or I'm assuming it is, since your truck is already on it."

"Splendid," I sniffed, and began to change into my nightgown. 

"Is that lace? On your bed-wear?" Parvati asked me. I could see the jealously plain on her face.

"Yes. Why?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"No, nothing."

"Good."

And with that I sunk down into my mattress, pulled my comforter up to my neck, and faced my entire body away from all three of them. I hoped that just because we shared a dorm, they didn't expect me to actually talk to them.

"Goodnight, Alexandra," I heard Hermione's voice from the other side of the room. I pretended to be asleep.

The next morning, I slipped quietly out from the warm cocoon of my sheets, and padded over to the window. The sky was tinted pink, and creamy clouds blotted it like someone had painted each one of them.