𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟒 - 𝟔

And so, the fun of the ball began. Well, it was fun for the girls. For the boys, however, I assumed it was extremely stressful. We whispered and gossiped about who asked who while the boys stopped stupidly in front of us, lost their nerve, and hurried away. It was hilarious, until there was only two weeks until the ball and I still hadn't been asked.

Actually I had been asked, but only by a couple Slytherins, and Nott so many times that I lost count. I knew who I wanted to be asked by, but that didn't mean I wasn't still in denial.

One day as we sat out, all four of us together in front of the Black Lake, Krum walked by with his little fan club of girls trotting along behind him. He looked over at us, Hermione cleared her throat, and he continued on.

I poked her in the side and said quietly, so Potter and Weasley didn't hear, "There's your Bulgarian Bum Bum."

"Shut it," she said, using her book to point at me.

A few days later we were in Potions class, doing supposedly independent book work. Potter and Weasley were talking louder than they thought they were, which was pretty entertaining.

"This is mad," Weasley said. "At this rate we'll be the only ones in our year without dates." Snape came over and pushed his head down forcefully. "Well, us and Neville," Weasley continued when Snape had left. 

"Yeah, but then again, he can take himself," Potter laughed.

"It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone," I said, feeling sympathetic for him.

"Now I'm really depressed," Weasley groaned.

Fred sent him a paper from across the table. "Get a move on or all the good ones will have gone?" Weasley whispered as he read. He glanced back to make sure Snape wasn't behind him and then asked Fred, "Who are you going with, then?"

In response, Fred crumpled up the note and threw it, hitting Angelina on the side of the head. She turned to him, annoyed, and mouthed, "What?"

Fred acted out the words as he spoke them. "Do you... want to got to the ball... with me?"

She smiled and rested her face in her hand. "To the ball?" She whispered. "All right, then."

Fred turned back to us and winked as George snickered next to him.

"Oi, Hermione," Weasley said suddenly, like he just had an epiphany. "You're a girl." Potter grabbed at Weasley's arm to warn him that Snape had noticed his talking again and was coming back over, but was ignored. 

"Oh, well spotted," Hermione hissed.

"Come with one of us?" Weasley asked.

Snape hit him and Hermione on the backs of the heads with his book, and then Potter's and mine for laughing. 

"Come on," Weasley pushed. "It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone. For a girl, it's just sad."

"I won't be going alone, because, believe it or not, someone's asked me," she said, slamming her book shut. She walked up to Snape, handed it to him, and then stalked back to us. "And I said yes," she finished furiously, grabbing her book bag and leaving.

"Bloody hell," Weasley muttered. "She's lying right?"

"She is not," I said truthfully.

"So you know who she's going with," Weasley concluded intelligently.

"I do."

"And you can tell us?" He asked hopefully.

"I've been forbidden," I replied. "You'll find out soon enough, though."