𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟓 - 𝟐

After a week of cleaning out the rooms of the house, which I soon learned was called Grimmauld Place, and hundreds of visits from different Order members including Professor McGonagall and a short, suspicious man named Mundungus Fletcher, it was the morning of Potter's hearing. Everyone woke up early to see him off, and when Hermione, Ginny and I walked downstairs he was being attacked by Mrs. Weasley with a wet comb.

"Does it ever lie flat?" She cried.

"I don't think so, Mrs. Weasley, no," was his reply.

Finally she gave up and went to furiously getting everyone's breakfast orders. I sat down next to Potter at the kitchen table with Hermione and Weasley.

"Don't worry Harry. I've done my research, and to expel you would be breaking their own laws," Hermione tried to reassure him.

"Listen, mate, the Ministry's not that bad. It's a bit overwhelming, but at least the courtrooms that you're going to aren't on the same floor as the Department of Mysteries," Weasley said. "Those rooms were for Death Eaters and stuff." Then he looked to me sheepishly. "Sorry, Alexandra."

It stung a little, but I was used to it. I waved my hand and looked at Potter. "You're going to be fine. Hermione's right, and you didn't just perform magic in front of a Muggle, you saved your cousin's life. They can't possibly find a way to expel you."

He looked like he wanted to believe us so badly. 

"Come on, Harry. Time to go," Mr. Weasley called over.

"Thanks, you guys," he mumbled. I grabbed his wrist as he began to walk away. "Good luck," I said. He nodded, swallowed, and followed Mr. Weasley out the front door. Hermione and I looked at each other nervously. He just couldn't be expelled. I wouldn't allow it.

Those couple of hours were quiet possibly the longest hours of everyone's lives. We tried doing busy work around the house, but it was no use. Mrs. Weasley cooked everything in the kitchen, even managing to find a way to use an expired can of tomato sauce.

Sirius walked around looking worried for his godson, but also the tinniest bit hopeful. Maybe he wondered whether or not Dumbledore would let Potter stay with him at Grimmauld Place if he did end up getting expelled from Hogwarts. It was a cruel but completely understandable wish.

Hermione, Weasley, Ginny, and everyone else all paced around together, never staying in one spot for a long time and always with a thoughtful or concerned look on their faces. Our faces. I couldn't deny my growing panic as the hours dragged by. 

Then, finally, there was the sound of the front door opening. Everyone rushed forward. Mr. Weasley was smiling and Potter looked relieved, but something else was on his mind.

"Cleared of all charges!" Mr. Weasley announced. Everyone laughed and clapped and cheered. Mrs. Weasley led Potter to a kitchen chair and began ladling some steaming soup into a bowl for him. 

"You didn't even eat breakfast, dear, you must be famished... where's the cheese?" She called out distractedly, flying back and forth from the stove to the cabinets to the table.

"I always knew you was gonna be fine," Weasley grinned, even though moments ago he had been asking many rhetorical questions, like how hard it would be to smuggle Potter into school in his trunk.

Hermione sighed and took her own bowl of soup. "Of course we were all so worried, but we always had faith in you, Harry. What did you say to make them clear you of all charges?"

"Actually, Dumbledore said everything for me," Potter answered, slightly irritatedly. We all glanced at each other. "He came in and defended my case, and then left without even looking at me."