𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟒 - 𝟐

All the students had gathered outside to watch the schools of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang enter the school grounds. Beauxbatons came from the sky, in a monstrous powder blue carriage pulled by the largest flying horses I had ever seen. Durmstrang came from the Black Lake in the form of a war ship, emerging from the surface of the water with a mighty wave.

Hagrid was shouting to clear the grounds for the Beauxbatons horses, and was nearly trampled by their hooves. He was forced to jump off to the side with a yelp to avoid getting knocked in the head.

Once everyone had calmed back down and flocked into the Great Hall, the international students were still nowhere to be seen.

"Now that we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement," Dumbledore said, beginning his start of term speech. "This castle will not only be your home this year, but the home of some very special guests as well."

As he spoke, the doors creaked open. Filch began running down the length of the hall to get to Dumbledore, bringing his knees to his chest in such a way that students couldn't help laughing. When Filch reached the headmaster he leaned over and whispered something in his ear. Once done he ran all the way back.

"So... Hogwarts has been chosen," Dumbledore started again, "to host a legendary event. The Triwizard Tournament."

There were gasps and murmurs all around. I tried to remember what I had been taught about the Triwizard Tournament. I recalled being told that it was extremely dangerous, and I hoped that I was thinking of the wrong event.

"Now, for those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests," Dumbledore explained. "From each school, a single student is selected to compete. Now, let me be clear. If chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint-hearted."

Near us, Fred and George Weasley were whispering to each other and grinning with their friend Lee Jordan.

"But more of that later. For now, please join me in in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress, Madame Maxime!" Dumbledore gestured to the doors, and they flew open.

A hundred girls in satin dresses the same color as their carriage flounced in, and small blue butterflies surrounded them.

"Bloody hell," Weasley said, looking after them in awe. 

Once they had danced their way over to the front of the hall, they smiled and bowed to much whistling and applause. The headmistress, Madame Maxime, stood next to Dumbledore. She must have been three feet taller than him, at the very least, and wore a red leather coat with fur trimming.

"And now, our friends from the north," Dumbledore got back on the podium. "Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang, and their high master, Igor Karkaroff."

Now about the same number of boys came in, holding polished, carved sticks and twirling them around faster than I could see. They all wore deep crimson uniforms and gave off an air of unapproachable fierceness. After the majority of students had passed, a taller, larger boy walked by with the headmaster. 

"Blimey, it's him!" Weasley gasped, shaking Potter's arm frantically. "Viktor Krum!"

The Durmstrang boys did their last flips, bowed jerkily, and sat wearily down at the Slytherin table. Viktor Krum himself sat next to Draco, who looked very smug with the seating arrangements. The Beauxbatons girls sat with the Ravenclaws.

When the food appeared I noticed additions that I had never seen before, mainly French dishes including plenty of snail. When the feast ended, a few men came in holding a large, dirty, golden statue. It seemed to be immensely old, and needed a good scrub.