𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟔 - 𝟏

Draco and I stood in the small, dimly lit parlor that father usually reserved for his business meetings. I had only seen inside once before. I must have been around five, and father had told us that we weren't allowed to go inside. So of course, Draco and I got a house elf to help us peek inside. I had only managed to see a dark wood desk and a three-shelf bookcase before we had heard footsteps down the hallway and scurried away, giggling and trying to shush each other.

The memory made me sad. Back then, all I had wanted was to know my father better, see what he was hiding from us and why he was so mysterious with his work. Now I all I wanted was to pretend I still didn't know he was a Death Eater, and I certainly wasn't overjoyed to be allowed in this room anymore.

Draco and I were sitting on a tiny, black leather couch when father walked in with our pale, skinny mother behind him. Ever since Voldemort returned she had looked sick and frail, her cheekbones more prominent and her limbs boney. It made me angry, knowing father was aware of what he was doing to his wife but not preventing it.

He locked eyes with the both of us just long enough to make us uncomfortable. Draco shuddered next to me. I felt nauseous. In the back of my mind, I knew what was coming, and Draco did too. But neither of us wanted to believe it just yet.

Still, it was the only thing that would explain why mother had gone to Snape's house, begging him for an Unbreakable Vow. At least that's how I heard Aunt Bellatrix put it when she was screaming at my mother downstairs a few evenings ago. My mother knew what my father wanted for us as well as we did, and she needed Snape to protect us. I didn't want Snape to protect me. Draco, sure, but he knew whose side I was on.

"Draco... Alexandra," my father began. "The Dark Lord has asked for the highest honor from you both." My mouth tasted like copper. "Your mother and I were both very surprised when he offered, and we accepted graciously." He didn't sound very gracious. 

"You have been welcomed into the group of Death Eaters. You will be branded with the Dark Mark tomorrow evening, just before my hearing."

He let the words float in the air for a moment. Let them gain meaning and weight. Draco slowly stood from his seat.

"This is wonderful, father," he croaked.

I shot up next to him in horror. "Draco, you can't seriously-"

"We have a family name to uphold, Alexandra," he said. His face was completely emotionless, but his voice shook with raw fear.

"No..." I whispered. "You can't... I don't..."

"Silence," my father snapped. I faced him angrily.

"Father, you can't let this happen!" I cried. "Draco and I are too young. We're still in school. This can't possibly be allowed."

"Alexandra," he said, tone dangerous. "The Dark Lord has demanded both of your arms for the Dark Mark. You will offer yourselves to him with no further discussion."

I fisted both my hands, digging my nails into my palms as hard as I could. "I refuse," I replied quietly.

"You cannot refuse." My father took a step closer. 

"Lucius..." my mother protested meekly. He ignored her.

"You are an ungrateful child. You go making friends with blood-traitors, and you become one yourself," he hissed. "You go making friends with Mudbloods, and you become tainted. I do not know why the Sorting Hat put you in Gryffindor house instead of Slytherin, but it has effected our family for far too long. You were always too weak to be a true Slytherin. If you followed in your brother's footsteps, maybe you would have succeeded."