𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟐 - 𝟏𝟎

"Amazing!" Professor Lockhart yelled. "This is just like magic!"

Fawkes was flying all five of us back up through the pipe and into the bathroom in chain-link fashion. She had a claw around the front of Professor Lockhart's shirt, Weasley was holding onto his foot, and then Potter was next. 

I was gripping Potter's hand with the strength of every last cell in my body, and Ginny was hugging me around my middle. 

When we landed back in front of the sinks, Moaning Myrtle was waiting for us.

"Harry!" She said in surprise. "You're still alive?"

"Don't sound so disappointed," he mumbled. 

As Fawkes led us to Dumbledore's office, I nudged Potter in the arm. 

"You were really brave in there," I whispered.

"Really? You think I'm brave?" He asked with pride in his voice.

"Just a little bit," I smiled. "But don't repeat that," I added hurriedly.

"Why not?" He teased.

"We can't have my reputation ruined, now can we?" I said, and turned to Ginny. But not before I saw his smug smile that I disgustingly adored so much. 

"You three realize, of course, that in the past few hours you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules?" Professor Dumbledore asked.

Potter, Weasley, and I were standing in front of his desk, looking down at our shoes. Ginny had been taken long ago by her crying mother and thoroughly thankful father. Maybe Mr. Weasley liked me a bit better than my father now.

"Yes, sir," we all said quietly.

"And there is sufficient evidence to get you all expelled," he added.

"Yes, sir," we repeated. I couldn't imagine the punishments father would give me if that happened.

"Therefore..." Professor Dumbledore began, and I braced myself, "it is only fitting... that you three will all receive... special awards for services to the school," he finished. The three of us shared incredulous glances.

"Thanks, sir," Weasley breathed.

"And now, Mr. Weasley, if you would have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban. I believe we want our gamekeeper back," he said, handing Weasley a thick letter stamped with the official Hogwarts seal.

"Harry. Alexandra," Professor Dumbledore said, turning around. "First, I want to thank you both. You must have shown some real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you."

He gestured to the phoenix, who I could have sworn smiled.

"And second, I sense that something is troubling you, Harry. Am I right?"

"It's just-" Potter tried. "You see, sir, I- I couldn't help but notice certain things... certain similarities between Tom Riddle and me."

"I see," Professor Dumbledore responded. "Well, you can speak Parseltounge, Harry. Why?"

When Potter didn't answer, I cut in. "I think I know, professor," I squeaked.

"You do, Alexandra?" He asked, smiling down at me.

"Yes, well, the Dark Lord can speak Parseltounge. A- and the Killing Curse is a very powerful spell. He could have transferred some of his powers to Potter the night that he tried to murder him," I said quietly. 

I knew a bit about the Unforgivable Curses because of my father's old Death Eater role, and that was the only good explantation I had come up with.