𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟓 - 𝟒

"Pardon me, professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" Umbridge's extremely annoyed voice came from the main corridor. Everyone quickly moved from the Great Hall to watch the scene unfold.

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices," Professor McGonagall replied sharply. Both woman were standing on the staircase, toe to toe.

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom. Minerva," Umbridge smiled, emphasizing McGonagall's name by stepping up a step higher.

"Not at all, Delores," McGonagall did the same thing. The crowd of students grew. "Merely your medieval methods."

"I... I am sorry dear," Umbridge scoffed. "But to question my practices is to question the Ministry, and, by extension, the Minister himself. I am a tolerant woman, but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty."

McGonagall took a step down and her face seemed to age a decade. "Disloyalty," she repeated sadly.

In contrast Umbridge stood taller, walking up until she was at the top stair. "Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared," she announced to the group of watching students at large. "Cornelius will want to take immediate action."

And with that she turned around, briskly walking away from us all, her tiny pink shoes clicking noisily on the tiled floor. 

By the next morning, Flitch could be seen on a tall, rickety ladder, hammering a sign into the stone wall lining the doors to the Great Hall. When he was finished he cautiously made his way back down, nearly toppling over on himself halfway.

After the ladder was removed, a small wooden frame was visible. It read, "Proclamation Educational Decree No. 23: Delores Jane Umbridge has been appointed to the post of Hogwarts High Inquisitor," and was stamped with the Ministry's official seal.

In the days following, we quickly learned what the title "Hogwarts High Inquisitor" instated. It meant Umbridge was allowed to walk around the school like a headmistress, tightening boy's ties as they walked by and enforcing the rule "Boys and girls must be six feet apart at all times."

Hermione and I had been yelled at too many time to count in the corridors for being too close to Potter and Weasley. It was madness. 

Being High Inquisitor of the school apparently also entailed going around from classroom to classroom and interrogating the professors. I assumed it was to see if they were good enough, in Umbridge's eyes, to stay at the school, which made absolutely no sense. 

What would happen when she finally decided a teacher wasn't trained enough for their profession? It was all so preposterous.

The Prophet was having field day after field day, soaking up everything they could get on the going ons at Hogwarts. Headlines that read "EXCLUSIVE! Ministry Seeks Educational Reforms!" and "New Era Dawns at Hogwarts!" filled the pages, always followed by a smug picture of Umbridge or Fudge underneath.

But she always inquired Professor Trelawney the most, especially while she was in the middle of her very enthusiastic speeches. I almost felt bad for the woman.

One day during Divination Trelawney was interrupted for the sixth time and counting. "Just one question, dear," Umbridge began. "You've been in this post for how long, exactly?"

When Trelawney took too long to answer, Umbridge moved on. "Could you predict something for me?"

"I'm sorry?" Trelawney asked, sounding slightly offended.