𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟏 - 𝟕

"I had you looking in the wrong section!" Hermione said, scoffing at herself. "How could I be so stupid?" She then dropped the biggest book I had ever seen down on the table, nearly crushing Potter's fingers.

How unfortunate that would be.

"I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading," she continued, and Weasley looked at her, bewildered.

"This... is light?" 

She only gave him a glare before flipping to a page towards the end, and scanning her eyes over it for a moment. Then she put her finger over a sentence and exclaimed, "Of course! Here it is!"

Potter, Weasley and I all leaned our heads in to get a better look.

"Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Sorcerer's Stone!" Hermione whispered, ecstatic.

"The what?" We all said at the same time.

"Honestly. Don't you three read?" She asked rolling her eyes. 

Reading straight from the book, she continued, "The Sorcerer's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It can turn any metal into pure gold, and produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal."

"Immortal?" Weasley wondered.

"It means you'll never die," Hermione translated.

"I know what it means!"

Potter shushed him.

"The only stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday."

"Well, that makes sense why we couldn't find him in any recent books. Or not recent books. He's ancient," I said.

"That's what Fluffy's guarding on the third floor. That's what's under the trapdoor," Hermione said, leaning in and lowering her voice. "The Sorcerer's Stone."

"We have to go talk to Hagrid," Potter sighed. "He knows all about Fluffy, and he's the one that took the Stone out of the vault that day. He might slip up again and tell us something."

"The chances of that happening are very likely," I agreed, closing my book on 'The Most Famous Witches and Wizards of the Twentieth Century,' and standing up.

"Well, let's go then," Hermione said, shoving the book into her bag and lugging it's now heavy weight over her shoulder.

We ran to Hagrid's, getting yelled at at least twice by random teachers. But we kept going. I realized that the more I ran, the more I enjoyed running. When I wasn't allowed to run with other children as a child, because god forbid I wasn't the exact definition of a pureblood female, the fact that I could now without getting in trouble was very liberating.

We reached the grounds, and then Hagrid's hut. It was nighttime by the time we got there, and I worried that Potter's ferocious knocking on the door might make Hagrid think that we were something else.

"Oh, hello there," Hagrid said in a cheery voice. "Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today."

Frantically, I said, "We know about the Sorcerer's Stone!"

The door slowly opened again. "Oh. I see," Hagrid sighed, and let us in.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it," Potter said, getting right to the point. 

"We think Professor Snape's trying to steal it," I corrected him.

"Sod off, Malfoy."

"You sod off, Potter. I'm just being polite-"