seven

┍ ┑
—chapter seven—
┖ ┙

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

AROUND TWO WEEKS HAD PAST until Sam decided that Rue was in control enough to go back to school. It hadn't taken her very long to get in control of her shift, they assumed it was because she was typically a calm person. Her mom had stopped by everyday to bring Rue the homework she missed, letting her know that Quil brought it home every single day to make sure Rue didn't fall behind.

This just made Rue feel so much worse about going back to school, knowing she was going to have to ignore him. She felt even worse about lying to Tama. He was her twin, they told each other everything. They didn't keep secrets. Their mom had told him that her "mono" was so bad that she was staying at a friends house so the rest of them didn't catch it.

She was also worried about her heightened hearing, especially how it would effect her during school. Sam had her practice by going to the grocery store, which ended up with Rue leaving with a massive headache and ringing ears.

But as she practiced, it got a little better, she still got a headache now and then but she's learned to tune things out for the most part.

Rue had mentally prepared herself for all of the looks and stares she was about to get as she hopped out of Jared's truck. Malia and Paul decided to take Paul's truck instead so Embry and Rue had squished themselves into the front with Jared.

Ignoring the stares as best as she could, she searched the parking lot for Billy Black's rusty old pick-up. Thankfully, Rue didn't see it. They weren't here yet.

"Come on," Embry said, taking Rue's hand and squeezing it as an attempt to comfort her. She gave him a grateful smile before the three of them walked to meet up with Paul and Malia. Once they were all together, they started walking towards the school. As they were walking, Rue began to worry about what Quil would think when he heard about it, or saw them. Accidentally, she stopped focusing on her hearing as her anxiety became overwhelming. And then before she knew it, the voices hit her all at once.

"Is that Rue?"

"What's she doing with them?"

"Is she apart of the gang now too?"

"Are Rue and Embry together? I thought her and Quil were dating?"