sixteen

┍                                      ┑
—chapter sixteen—
┖                                      ┙

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

RUE WAS LEANED UP AGAINST Billy Black's truck with her arms crossed as she waited for Jacob, Embry, and Bella. Sam had asked her, Quil, and Embry to accompany him to the girls house to see if it was the same scent that they picked up in the woods.

Rue scrunched up her nose as a breeze passed, making a sickly sweet scent waft up to her nose.

"You should see how you smell to us."

The pair turned their heads to look at the Cold One. His back stayed towards them but his head was angled sideways slightly.

Jacob had told her about this one. How he could read peoples minds. Rue glared at him, "stay out of my head."

Quil grabbed her hand, interlacing their fingers together. Rue let out a sigh of relief when Jacob, Embry, and Bella exited the house.

"Whoever it was, he left his stink behind." Jacob said.

"Yeah, and it was the same scent we picked up in the woods." Embry added. "We traced it here, then kept following it, but the trail went cold."

"It'll be hard to miss when we cross it again. We'll handle it from here."

Rue and Quil pushed themselves off the truck, walking to go stand beside of Jacob and Embry.

Edward stared at the boy. "We don't need you to handle anything. Or anyone."

Jacob glared. "I could care less what you need."

"All right," Edward shook his head. "We're done here."

The three shifters tensed up as Jacob took a step forward. "No, you're done here."

"Stop!" Bella exclaimed. "I'm tired of this. From now on, I'm Switzerland, okay?"

Edward and Jacob stared at each other, glaring. Rue placed a hand on Jacob's shoulder, "come on, it's time to go talk to Sam."

Jacob stayed where he was, glaring at Edward. Rue said his name again, and he finally broke eye contact. He gave Bella a hug goodbye, looking smugly at Edward, before leaving.