fifteen

┍ ┑
—chapter fifteen—
┖ ┙

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

RUE AND QUIL had walked to the dandelion field in silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable one, it was just silence. It was nice.

So many things had happened since Quil had shifted, it was nice to not have a million things racing in her brain all at once. Not to mention having Tama's thoughts on top of hers was less than ideal.

The pair had stopped in the middle of the field and laid down. They stayed like that for a few minutes before Rue turned on her side to face Quil, tucking her arm under her head.

She nervously chewed on the inside of her cheek as she tried to figure out what to say. Quil smacked her thigh lightly, reminding her that she wasn't supposed to be doing that.

Rue sighed, glancing down at the ground. Quil turned on his side, tucking his hand under his head so he could prop himself up to look at the girl.

"Hey, what's up?"

Rue inhaled sharply, forcing herself to look at him. As they made eye contact her stomach fluttered.

"We haven't really... talked about the whole imprinting thing."

"Yeah, I— I know." Quil glanced away before looking back at her. "I know, that you heard what I said, the night I shifted— about me having feelings for you."

"I've really liked you, Rue, for a long time." Like it was second nature, Quil reached his hand forward to grab hers.

"I really like you too, Quil." Rue said. "And I know that I messed up, when I didn't tell you. But I've liked you for years, and I've always been too scared to say anything— because I didn't want to lose you."

Quil sat up, which Rue copied. He placed his hand on the side of her face. "You could never lose me, Rue, ever."

She placed her hand on top of his as they brought their foreheads together. They stayed like that with their eyes closed before Quil pulled away slightly.

They stayed frozen, if either of them moved even an inch their lips would be touching. Rue could hear her heart pounding in her ears, as her breathing grew heavy.