twenty-one

┍                                                ┑
—chapter twenty-one—
┖                                                ┙

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

Towards the end of the night, long after the wrestling had subsided and the cake had been cut, Rue and Quil had managed to sneak off, leaving Tama to keep everyone distracted as the birthday boy.

"Quil," Rue giggled, holding tightly onto his hand as he pulled her along. "Where are we going?"

He simply smiled, "you'll see."

The girl glanced around the woods that surrounded them, nothing looked familiar, though, it didn't help that the only thing lighting up the night sky was the almost full moon that shone brightly.

They walked a little further. There wasn't any talking, just the holding of hands and whatever sounds the animals and insects were making.

Rue squinted as they came upon a few dim lights shining through the trees. "What is that?"

"You'll see." He replied.

When they reached the lights, it took Rue a moment to register where they were. Her gaze was stuck on the quilt and the little lanterns that surrounded it. Laying on the quilt was a small bouquet of the little yellow dandelion flowers they gave each other so often, and a couple of neatly wrapped presents.

When she finally looked up, she realized they were in the dandelion field. Her eyes widened and she turned to look at Quil.

"Do you like it?" He smiled shyly. Rue grinned at him, and instead of responding, she grabbed his face with her hands and pulled him into a kiss. It took Quil a moment before he began kissing back, gripping her hips with his hands before pulling her closer to him.

"I love it." She responded when they finally pulled away. He grabbed her hand once again, pulling her to the quilt so they could sit down.

She glanced around one more time, letting everything fully register in her head. "Wait, how did you get all of this up here?"

"I asked Tama and Embry to set everything up during the party." Quil explained.