Death & Will

You were gathered in your grandma's hospital room with your father, his wife, your mother, her husband, your younger twin brother and sister, your spoiled older sister, your two uncles (dad), and your aunt (dad).

Your father held your grandmother's hand against his forehead. "We love you, Ma." he tells her, making her laugh. "You've already told me a million times! But I love you too!" Her voice strained, yet she seemed to be full of life.

She'd always been that way. Bright. Vibrant. Happy. Joyous. Cheery.

She sees you holding your tears back. Your mom notices too. "Y/n cut it out. You're bringing the mood down even more." she scolds. You look away from her. Your grandma gives her a look. "Oh stop it, Aya. She can't help it. Come to me, my girl." she tells you, holding her arms out. You come to her bedside, opposite of your father. She gives you a warm hug and strokes your head. "I told you many times before. It's my time. I lived a very good life, don't you think so?" You nod and wipe your eyes. "Y-Yeah.. But I'm gonna miss y-you." She gently twiddles your hair through her fingers. "Oh I know. But aren't you glad you've spent so much time with me? Now you'll have the memories to look back on until you see me again." You hold her hand where it was on your face. "Mhm.. We have a lot of good memories, huh?" She smiles. "That's the spirit. I know it might be hard at first, but remember that I won't be hurting anymore. I'll be peacefully happy. You'll be okay, Y/n." You nod and sniffle. "Okay.. I'll try for you." She smiles.

For the next half hour, you all sat there, talking about memories to lighten the mood.

But then your grandmother could feel herself slipping away. She looked drowsy, like she was only planning on a short nap, but she wouldn't be waking up. Her grip on your hand loosens and your expression saddens. "I love you all." she whispers, as she blinks a few more times. "We love you too, grandma." you choke out, trying not to cry before she was gone. The monitor beeps and she flatlines.

You sob into her side, holding her hand. Hiroko was there to console you, while Aika comforted your father with a gentle hand on his back. Your mother and older sister did shed some tears, they weren't heartless, but that was about it. Your younger siblings sought comfort from your mother. Your heart was completely shattered.

Soon, you all returned home from the hospital. You locked yourself in your room and refused to come out. You didn't answer your phone at all, aside from one text to assure your dad that you were okay. After a full two days, you finally decided to show yourself. You showered, brushed your teeth, and came downstairs while everyone was eating breakfast.

"Hi Y/n." your younger sister says, triggering everyone else's greetings. "Hey big sis." your brother says. "You really shouldn't have stayed in there so long. It's adding more stress where it doesn't need to be." your older sister scolds. She always had a thing for acting like she was your mother, and it never failed at irritating you.

"Gee. Sorry my grieving upsets you. Get over it." you snap as you go to find coffee to make. Your mother speaks before you could find any. "Y/n don't be insensitive. We're all grieving." You roll your eyes without her seeing. "I don't see how I'm the insensitive one here. She's invalidating my grief." Your mother knew you were right. "Don't talk back to me. Stop being insensitive and rude."

Even as an adult, you still let her have control over you. She raised you to make you think she didn't have to respect you but you had to respect her.

You don't say anything to respond. "Do you hear me?" she questions. "Yes.." you mumble. "I said do you hear me?" she asks again, getting louder. You answer louder. "Yes." She heard an attitude. "Watch who you're talking to. I have too much to think about to deal with you." You don't reply and go on to make your coffee. You grab just a slice of toast to eat in the kitchen alone.

When not many people were around, your dad finds you. "Listen, honey, if you want, I'll pay for a hotel so you don't have to stay here. I know you get stressed and—" You put down your mug. "No.. no.. I'm fine. Thanks Dad." He sighs. "Let me know if you change your mind. Also. The funeral is tomorrow and the will reading is right after." You huff. "Alright. I'll be ready."

Later the same day, you get a call from Akaashi. "Hi Y/n. Just checking in." You were alone in your room. "I'm good. Thanks. Just with my family like I've been." He could hear your voice was off. "Wait have you- Y/n have you been crying?" You sniffle. "Yeah.. she passed." He felt sorry for you. "I am so sorry Y/n. I hope you and your family are doing okay." You lay down. "Depends on your definition of 'okay'. But thank you. I actually need a nap but I'll talk to you soon, okay?" He hums. "Mhm. Okay. Bye, take care."

The next day was the funeral. You were very attached to your father the entire time and he provided comfort. After was the will reading. Your mother sits with your older sister, Chiyo. "Let's see what this woman left for us." She sounded a little too excited for your liking. The man in charge of the reading nods. "Alright. To my beloved children, Kaito, Ryu, Jiro, and Asuka, I leave 224,470,000 yen each.($2M) And 1,122,050 to their spouses. (10k)" Your father touches his heart. "Thank you, Ma." he mutters. "To my youngest grandbabies, Ahma and Haru, I leave 56,117,500 yen each. (500k) And my jewelry to divide amongst themselves."

Your mother rubs her hands together. "Sounds like she's left us a lot of money."

The reader goes on. "To my oldest grandbaby, Chiyo, I leave 44,882,000 yen. (400k.)" Her expression deflates. "She's giving me less than the twins?!" Your mother pats her hand. "I'm sure there's more." There wasn't. "Now to my grandbaby, Y/n—"

Your mother cuts the reader off. "Excuse me, sir. Was that all she left for my daughter, Chiyo?" He nods. "Yes. That's all." Your mother huffs. "That woman! Why would she do that?" Your father sets her straight. "Watch yourself, Aya. That's my mother you're talking about. She's passed. The least you could do is show some respect." She rolls her eyes. "I am! It's just that she left Chiyo with so little!" Your father didn't care what she was saying. "It is her will. She made her decisions and you'll just have to deal with it." Your mother couldn't respond to that.

The reader goes on. "To my grandbaby Y/n. I leave my estate and all the furniture inside. I also leave her my puppy, fluffy, and all his belongings. I also leave her my 2020 Cadillac SUV and 56,117,500 yen. (500k)" You cover your mouth, but knew your mother was ready to explode.