Closeted

CW: Being Closeted

After eating the breakfast Akaashi had cooked, everyone was getting ready to load the car with suitcases.

You were in your room when Bokuto knocks on your already opened door. His expression was telling. He had something to say. You wait for it. But it didn't come. Instead, he was just standing in front of you, making eye contact. It easily made you nervous.

"Um. What do—"

He hugs you. A real hug. But it was so sudden that you had to think for a second in order to process it. Your hands lap over his back and you relax into it.

"Are you okay?" you ask, though still puzzled by this strange interaction. He takes a deep breath and lets go. "I'm sorry for being such an ass." You could've responded but he didn't give you any time.

"Genuinely. I am. I was just afraid that— that maybe you were only interested in being my friend because of my career. But I trust you! And I should have never doubted your loyalty. It's just that this sort of thing has happened once before and it had the potential to ruin me. So I became cold. But I regret it. And I'm sorry, Y/n."

He stands in suspense, awaiting a reaction. As he explained, you appeared indifferent, unbothered even. But the weight lifts off of his shoulders when your lips curl into a smile.

"I get you, Bo. You wouldn't want anything to jeopardize your career. And the coldness was just you protecting yourself. I'm still sorry I didn't tell you. So much happened so fast in just a couple weeks of knowing you and I didn't want anything to ruin our relationship. But I should've been honest anyway. You deserve that much."

He smiles back at you. "I get you, too. If it makes you feel better, it was really hard to act coldly. Like when you hurt your nail and um.. yesterday.." he trails off.

Your face drooped a bit at the memory. Bokuto breaks your train of thought as he grabs your hand. "About that actually! I shipped the dishes to an expert cleaner last night. They'll be good as new, I promise. And even if you don't want to use them, we can still save them." He was desperate to make it better. "How's that sound?" You place your hand on his cheek and stroke your thumb gently. "I think it's great. Thank you, Bo." His cheeks tint pink. "Sure! Anything for you! Now let's go help get everything into your truck!" You thank him again as he carries your bags for you.

About an hour later, you guys were on the road. It was early in the morning. You were originally meant to be staying in the same guest house as the rest of your immediate family but since the boys were tagging along, you decided that you'd all need your own guest house. Your mother tried to protest and make you stay with her and the others but you refused.

Ten days of spending time around her would be bad enough.

Speaking of, she starts calling you. "Guys, my mom is calling hang on." They quiet down.

"Hello?"

"Hello? Where are you? I told you the family was having breakfast before we start driving!"

You pinch your bridge.

"Yes, but I told you I wanted to get there early. You guys always take your time and then we get there way later."

"Where are you?!"

You could tell she was already in a mood.

"We ate at home and now we're off to the resort."
"Y/n stop just thinking about what you want to do! You're not the only one on this trip!"

You peek at the boys to make sure they couldn't hear her yell.

"I got my own guest house with my own money, so it's not like I'm inconveniencing anyone."

"I don't have time for this today. Bye!"

She hangs up.

You sigh and turn to stare out the window. Kuroo glances at you and nudges your shoulder. "Everything okay? Why'd she call?" You nod. "Yeah it's fine. I told her we were having our own breakfast because we want to get to the resort early. The way my family does things, we're always late." He laughs. "Haha! So she thought we would come over for breakfast?" You nod again. "Mhm. She'll get over it."

A few driver rotations later, you guys were a little over halfway to the destination. It was time for a pit stop. Both Kenma and Akaashi were feeling carsick, while Bokuto and Kuroo were starving. So the solution to both problems was, of course, food. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from. Bokuto delivers everyone burgers and fries and you come following behind with drinks.

While you were eating, you start staring. Not zoning out. Staring. At someone in the distance. Some stranger. All you knew was that she was pretty. Very, very pretty.

Kenma thought something was wrong with you. He tries to figure out where you were staring. "Are you staring at that girl with the curly hair over there?" You flinch and blink out of it. "What?! No! Of- Of Course I'm not!" He stares at you knowingly. "Wow, so convincing." Bokuto gasps. "Wait. Girl?!" Kuroo pokes you in your side. "Y/n, you roll that way?! You like women?!"

You were embarrassed and hush him. "Kuroo, stop!" Akasshi drinks his soda. "We don't discriminate if that's what you're worried about." You relax ever so slightly. "Um. Th-That's good. But no. I'm not worried about that. Because I'm not gay. Or whatever.. I just liked her jeans." Bokuto smirks. "I bet you do~" You glare at him. "Oh stop it!" Kuroo snickers. "You can trust us, Y/n. We're not homophobes!" You aggressively eat your fries. "You better not be unless you wanna be evicted." Kenma watches. "For someone who isn't gay, you seem very defensive."

You stay quiet for a second.

"Okay fine! I'm a very closeted queer! Closeted! So don't say a single word about this to anyone. It would literally ruin my life." you blurt out.

Akaashi is first to respond. "I promise you, I'll stay quiet about it unless you say otherwise." You sigh in relief. "Great." Kenma tosses a fry to get your attention. "I'm Bi. I know what it's like to be outed. My lips are sealed." You soften your gaze. "I'm sorry Ken.." He shakes his head. "It's alright. I'm fortunate enough to have support from my family." You show him a small grin and then look at Dumb and Dumber. "I was with Kenma through that. Won't say a word." Kuroo swears. Bokuto grins. "I won't say anything either." You looked unsure of his response and he could tell. "What?" he asks. You rubs your neck. "Bo, I just know you have a tendency to blurt some things out when you aren't thinking. So seriously, please be careful." He sighs. "Yeah, that's fair. I'll be super duper careful."

You relax. "I'm sorry to get so serious, guys. Honestly, I'm only worried about family finding out. Like if you mentioned it to one of your friends, like that Oikawa guy you mentioned, I wouldn't really mind. But if you guys were talking about it in front of like one of my little cousins and then they go tell my aunties and then they tell my mom, I would be ruined. Like it's just— ugh. You guys get it, right?" They all nod.

You huff. "Okay good. Let's get back on the road. All that was enough to tire me out for another nap."