Why Should You Care What It Could Be?

"So—" you both started to say, which made you laugh. "You first," he says. You don't face him. "All that and I'm still a kiss virgin.. haha.. and a normal one."

Crickets.

He chuckles after a second of studying you. "How about we face me and say what we really wanted to say?" You twirl and offer an awkward smile. "Okay well, what was that?" He stood and was now looking down at you. "I just think we got a little carried away." Not exactly what you wanted to hear but you couldn't let him know that so you start nodding. He continues, "I mean I love you and we just got back to normal and I know we'd both hate to jeopardize that." He noticed your face twitch but chose to ignore it after a questioning eyebrow raise. "That and your image of what you want your firsts to be like."

You could feel your face become a little warmer at the softening of his voice. It was still a little raspy.

"I'm not anyone romantically special to you."

But he could be.

"Besides, you were upset and I may be a wee bit tipsy right now." You punch him in the arm, and normally he'd only pretend it hurt, but this time it really did. "Ow! That actually hurt!" he whines. You cross your arms. "Good! Because you shouldn't risk being hungover the day before our huge game!" He pouts. "It was just a tiny bit." You roll your eyes. "Yeah, whatever. Anyway, we good here? I gotta bounce." He smiles and hugs you. "All good."

You rocked side to side, enjoying the moment and dismissing whatever conflicting thoughts plagued you. He did smell really good, though. Enough of that; it was time to go out and celebrate how far you've come in your career. Only, you'd be celebrating how far you'd come in everything.

Saying goodbye to Bokuto, you hurry down to the other dancers to have a good night. You all drove drop top through the city area and had a blast. Making a stop for some fast food, you bump into a stranger, literally.

He drops his entire order on the floor. Your jaw was agape. "I'm so sorry!" He flicks the remnants of his slushy onto the floor. "No, no, it's fine. I wasn't watching where I was going." He finally looks at you, and seems like he stalled a moment. Quickly recovering, he sticks his hand out. "Tanaka."

You smile. He was cute. "Y/n. Nice to meet you! Well I guess not so nice for you. Can I re-buy your meal?"

He slaps the air. "Don't worry about it, little lady. Maybe just talk to me for the time it would've taken me to eat it?"

Was he flirting? You didn't want to ruin the opportunity.

"Sure thing, cutie."

•Cutie? Oh God.•

He didn't seem to mind at all, gesturing for you to walk ahead with him. "I'll be back guys!" you call back to the team, who hoot and cheer, making both you and Tanaka laugh.

The two of you chat for about 15 minutes while your respective friend groups ate. It was pretty surface level topics, but nice nonetheless.

"Naka! Let's go man! That girl is way too pretty for you anyway!" his friend calls. You almost snort, but stifle it with your hand. He rubs his neck. "He's not wrong, but I might as well shoot my shot. Can I have your Instagram?" You go searching for your phone, and then frown. "I must've left my phone at my hotel. I'm sorry." He tilts your chin up. "Hey, no worries, how about—" He's cut off by some of your friends.

Xo grabs your arm. "Y/n! We gotta go. Big day tomorrow!" She jerks you in the opposite direction. You drop your bracelet, which you'd been holding after showing it to Tanaka. "I'm sorry! Bye!" you shout back. "If we're meant to be, we'll meet again, Cinderella!" As cheesy as it was, it made you smile. His friends tease him over it until you said, "Sure thing, Prince Charming!"